Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Setting Keyboard Shortcuts for Services won't work

I've tried to set Keyboard Shortcuts for Services like "New Terminal Tab from Folder" but it won't work. I even tried it on my friend's machine to no avail.

Here's where I'm setting it up. And yes, I've turned on the checkbox & set the shortcut I want. I've even tried a few different keyboard shortcuts that are complicated to ensure that it's not competing with something else.

To note, I'm using TotalFinder but my friend, whose machine I tested this on, doesn't.

We are both running 10.8.2 on the latest MacBook Pro with Retina Display, 15".

MacBook Pro (Retina, Mid 2012), OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.2)

Posted on Feb 13, 2013 12:49 PM

13 replies

Feb 14, 2013 8:04 PM in response to Chandlervdw

I have a similar scenario......except my services that I created run one time, and then won't run again.

For example, I created a service to open a new blank email message for me to type in. I assigned Cntl-Opt-Comm-M to this service. I hit the key sequence and it works the first time.....the mail window pops open.

If I then close the mail window that it spawned and do it again, no mail window opens.

I also did this to create a blank Calendar event and also another one for Reminders.

They all run one time and then not again.

Any ideas?

Feb 28, 2013 7:22 AM in response to Chandlervdw

I got the same problem today. I have a service to activate the Screen Saver with a shortcut assigned, suddenly it stopped working. I blame the installation of Kaspersky AV.. which is the only intended change that I did today, so I removed it but without luck.

So I have recreated the service and did other actions, but after I close the Keyboard in System Prefs, the shortcut does not get saved and consecuently does not work. Interestenly enough, if I keep the System Prefs minimized (not closed) with the shortcut assigned to the service it works. Grrr... wierd stuff.

Jun 21, 2013 4:57 AM in response to Chandlervdw

Hi, I have the same problem. I can't assign a keyboard shortcut to any service, specifically when I assign the shortcut in system settings it works, but after I close the setting it doesn't work and if I go back to system preferences I see that the shortcut is reset to default (non assigned).

As MauroCL said about Kaspersky AV I also installed it few days ago and I think that it's the culprit, because since the instalation my Mac behaves strangelly, like a lot of beachballs, shortcuts setting etc. I uninstalled the Kaspersky AV, the beachballs are gone, but the shortcuts still reseting:-( Any idea how to get rid of it?

And what about others, do you also have/had Kaspersky AV installed?

Feb 10, 2014 12:32 AM in response to lennon001

Hi everyone,

Have you installed in the past Karspersky Antivirus? After several days of looking I found where the shortcuts/services that you create are stored: ~/Library/Preferences/pbs.plist There I found a Karspersky entry which by-the-way I uninstalled before since it does not like to work with Little Snitch. That entry was stopping me from setting, modifying, adding shortcuts; once I deleted the entry with a plist editor, I regained control and my happiness.

Hope this is your case and that you can get your shorcuts working again!

Mauro

Setting Keyboard Shortcuts for Services won't work

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.