Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Add .jar-App to Launchpad

Hi,

I've a .jar-Application which i've already moved to the applications-folder, but it doesn't appear in my launchpad.

Does Launchpad only accept .app-files?

Is there a possibility to add it manually?

Thanks for your help!

Greetings

MacBook Pro (15-inch Mid 2010), OS X Mountain Lion

Posted on Feb 13, 2013 12:32 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 13, 2013 12:34 PM

As far as I know, Launchpad only supports .app files (applications). However, you can try dragging your .jar file to the Launchpad icon on the Dock, so if Launchpad supports those files, it should show up. If not, you can only show .app files on the Launchpad

9 replies

Feb 13, 2013 12:42 PM in response to mende1

Thanks for your advise!

Drag&drop does not work 😟

Also dragging the Alias of the jar-App to the Launchpad does not work.

Launchpad Control also can't help in this case!😢

Adding .app to the Alias Name also doesn't help, i can't trick Launchpad...

I always thought Launchpad just shows Shortcuts, but its really choosey.

Any other idea?

Thanks

Aug 24, 2013 9:02 AM in response to carboncanyon

A .jar isn't an app. It is the data for a Java program. When you "launch" it, you are launching Java, which is the App, and it loads the jar.

You'd have to use something to create a wrapper around the jar, not just a plain jar.

I believe you can do that in XCode.

You could use Automator to create an Application:

User uploaded file

Put the jar file somewhere that it will stay put (ie don't move it), then add it to the Get Specified Finder Items.

If you want a custom icon, get info on the application you made and paste an image into the icon in the top left of the Get Info window.

Feb 10, 2014 7:57 PM in response to aburger

Hey folks,

The easiest way to add any file to the dock is to drag it to the right side of the dock (just left of the trash can). You can attach any file you want on that side.

I do actually like Barney's suggestion about making an Automator app, those are cool, and Angelogoro's idea is great too because turning your jar file into an actual app is the most "professional" thing to do. but each of these requires a bit of time to make and some additional knowledge, so the thing I described above is useful for those of us who don't want to bother with making a program or don't have much experience with the Automator.

Hope this helps 🙂

Add .jar-App to Launchpad

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.