Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

OS X Mountain Lion will not install on my MacPro, even though it will load to my MacBook Pro

I have started this thread on a different heading, but I thought that I'd just ask under a slightly more specific headline, to maybe attract attention from other users who may not have already seen the other posting. And also in the hope that perhaps there may be a super boffin out there who may be able to assist.

Basically, I have bought, and successfully installed OSX ML 10.2.8 to my MacBook Pro [3,1] - bought Feb 2008.

Saved the installer to load to my MacPro, which I still needed take up to 10.6.8, before doing the 10.8.2 update.

Did the 10.6.8 update, no problem, from 10.5.8.

Updated all the "software updates" as required, before the 10.2.8 could be attempted.

Tried to do the 10.2.8 level, only to then find that the error message thrown back at me:

We could not complete your update.

OS X ML is not compatible with this computer.

OK, so now after a lengthy discovery, I understand that it is most likely as a result of the "Model ID" which on my MacPro is [2,1], because it was bought late 2007 [September 2007]. Even though, when I bought it as the highest spec build to order option that was available at that time:

MacPro2,1; Quad-Core Intel Xeon; Dual Processors of 3.0 GHz — i.e. 8 Core, 3.0 GHz

Bus Speed 1,33 GHz,

Fitted the highest spec graphics card [at that time] — ATI Radeon X1900 XT [512MB],

Running 2 x 26 inch Samsung SyncMaster T260 [connected to the two DVI connections the ATI card has].

And it has 24GB ram [4x2GB and 4x4GB] — 667 MHz, DDR2 FB-DIMM

Even added the Bluetooth module, as in here in South Africa, that was not sold as "standard" and needed to be added, at additional cost.

By comparison, my MacBook Pro, whilst admittedly is just slightly not as old, bought in Feb 2008. It is certainly is nowhere nearly as "equipped" as the MacPro.

See for yourself:

MacBookPro3,1; Intel Core 2 Duo; 2,4 GHz;

17 inch; Hi-Def; 1920 x 1200; matte screen, brushed aluminum body with the silver metal keys — NOT the uni-body.

Fitted the max ram that was reported to be supported, at that time, 4GB, 2x2GB — 667 MHz, DDR2 SDRAM

As I opted for the higher definition monitor, graphics card on the MacBook Pro is the NVIDIA GeForce 8600 GT 256 MB

Naturally, as it was a portable it came standard with the connectivity that they do; Wi-Fi / Bluetooth etc.

The MacPro, as to be expected, has far more USB, FireWire, and network connect ports compared to the portable, but there was no thunder bolt nor USB3, at that stage, so that can't be a factor here, as neither of the Mac have any of those two technologies onboard. So what the blazers is the reason that my MacPro, as it stands, is supposedly not as capable as the MacBook Pro?

Or what else is the reason that 10.2.8 will install to the MacBook Pro, but not my MacPro?

Mac Pro, Mac OS X (10.6.8), 2x3GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon 24GBram

Posted on Feb 13, 2013 1:09 PM

8 replies

Feb 13, 2013 1:13 PM in response to RatManDude

Simple: Apple has determined that OS X Mountain Lion is only compatible with Early 2008 and later Mac Pros. The reason? That's because of the EFI version (your Mac has got a 32-bit one, and OS X Mountain Lion is a 64-bit operating system), and OS X Mountain Lion can't start on your Mac if you install it.

Mountain Lion can be installed using hacks on your Mac, but it's not recommended as you can harm the Mac. My advice is to continue using Snow Leopard, or if you really wants to use Mountain Lion, buy a new computer

Feb 13, 2013 1:28 PM in response to mende1

Sorry, if I sound silly on this next question, or string of questions, but:

What does EFI stand for?

Is it an acronym for something?

I thought that my MacPro is 64bit? Well that is as far as I remember the salesman telling me, back when I did the B.T.O spec.

I am running 64bit apps [in full 64bit mode] as far as I understand. Like the CS suiite.

If I look at "About Photoshop…" it says — Version 12.1 x64

Doesn't that mean that it is running 64bit apps?

Or are you saysing that the "entire operating system" / "bios" or whatever it is called in Mac language, is not actually capable of running as 64bit?

I need to find my box, that came with the MacPro, ans just have a look at the info that is detailed on it. As as far as I can remember there was even a big "64bit" flashy thing, somewhere on the outside of the box.

But in the meantime, if you can perhaps help with the earlier questions.

And perhaps one more …

Where woudl I find the info / persons that I could investigate that "Hack", as I may need to investigate that a little. If anything just to be better informed, for the future. At the end of the day, if I have to scrub the entire Mac to the beginging, and reload everything, so be it, at least it will be a learning curve in the process.

I have all the legal software installers etc, so all that it will cost me is time, if it does "kill" the operating system …

Feb 13, 2013 1:32 PM in response to RatManDude

RatManDude wrote:

Where woudl I find the info / persons that I could investigate that "Hack", as I may need to investigate that a little. If anything just to be better informed, for the future. At the end of the day, if I have to scrub the entire Mac to the beginging, and reload everything, so be it, at least it will be a learning curve in the process.

Those hacks can be found with Google etc, I say this only to let you know that they will not be found here, that would against the terms of use for the site, and we all agreed to them in order to post.

Feb 13, 2013 1:34 PM in response to RatManDude

If you know what BIOS is, you know what EFI is. EFI has been created to replace the outdated and old-fashioned BIOS. It was first included on Intel-based Macs, but now, EFI is been included on new logic boards and PCs to replace the BIOS.

There is a lot of information about hack OS X in the Internet, but we don't support it, and you must do it at your own risk

Feb 13, 2013 1:50 PM in response to VikingOSX

Indeed,

And yes, I am a realist, and did expect to have to update my MacPro in the not too distant future …

In fact, it should be on the cards for early 2014, as I have just spent the cash for the upgraded ATI Radeon HD 5870 Graphics Upgrade Kit for MacPro [and a few other goodies, couple of H.D.D. internal & external, etc.

I just can't understand that the MacPro [which is effectively a MUCH more powerful machine] can be "outdone" by it's "smaller cousin" …

Just seems absurd … no?

Especially as it is fully capable to run the 64bit apps [as in the case as provided earlier] …

Regarding the "Hack" info … I hear, and understand … as I say at his moment, I am merely trying to arm myself with as much information as is available, so that I can at least say that I have a better understanding as to why the 'Beast" needs to be replaced, before the "Baby".

OS X Mountain Lion will not install on my MacPro, even though it will load to my MacBook Pro

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.