Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Messages Application always out of order

Why is it that, every time the Messages Application updates on my Macbook Pro, the messages are out of order. Every time, it never fails.

MacBook Pro (Retina, Mid 2012), OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.2)

Posted on Feb 13, 2013 2:40 PM

6 replies

Feb 13, 2013 2:46 PM in response to evanaoliver

HI,

Can you describe in more detail what you mean by "Messages App Updates" ?

There is a bit of a Known Issue that when the Mac has been Off and iMessages have been on an iPhone for instance and then the Mac is turned On, then the "Sync" is not instant whereas new iMessages are and can result in the order being mixed.

Some people report restarting the app places them in the "right" order (when the Sync has caught up).

User uploaded file
10:46 PM Wednesday; February 13, 2013

Please, if posting Logs, do not post any Log info after the line "Binary Images for iChat"

 iMac 2.5Ghz 5i 2011 (Mountain Lion 10.8.2)
 G4/1GhzDual MDD (Leopard 10.5.8)
 MacBookPro 2Gb (Snow Leopard 10.6.8)
 Mac OS X (10.6.8),
 Couple of iPhones and an iPad
"Limit the Logs to the Bits above Binary Images."  No, Seriously

Mar 12, 2013 10:16 PM in response to evanaoliver

Hello, same issue here. When I've been Messaging from my iPhone and come back and boot up my iMac many of my messages are out of order in Messages.app. Restarting Messages.app does not sort the messages in order received as Ralph Johns suggested works for some.

This is making it nearly impossible to understand conversations and I must go back to my Messages on my iPhone to see what was meant.

Apple, Tim Cook, please fix this anomoly.

-Ken

Mar 13, 2013 12:05 PM in response to Ken Shimabukuro

HI,

I would use this Feedback page as Messages is built on the iChat engine.

http://www.apple.com/feedback/ichat.html

Other than the Hosts who check random posts Apple don't systematically trawl the Discussions for info.

User uploaded file
7:05 PM Wednesday; March 13, 2013

 iMac 2.5Ghz 5i 2011 (Mountain Lion 10.8.2)
 Mac OS X (10.6.8),

Apr 5, 2013 5:41 PM in response to evanaoliver

I have the same issue. They're often out of order on my Mac. Even more frustrating is that when I get a notification of a new message from the Messages application, I'll click on it to open the program and the latest message that I just saw pop up won't show up at all. If I shut down Messages and the reopen it, it's there. So basically to get all my messages I have to open it twice. I've gotten used to this now, but I don't like it. I remember the beta of Messages did this in Lion and I figured once it was on Mountain Lion and out of beta it would be fixed. But it's not.

Apr 6, 2013 11:37 AM in response to grblade

HI,

I have seen one suggestion that both iPhone and Mac seem to do better if the Send From ID is the same (either iPhone Number or Apple ID)

User uploaded file
7:37 PM Saturday; April 6, 2013

 iMac 2.5Ghz 5i 2011 (Mountain Lion 10.8.3)
 Mac OS X (10.6.8),

Messages Application always out of order

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.