Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Safari 6.0.2 will not start. Also Google Chrome will not load web pages.

On MacBook Pro running Lion 10.7.5. Safari barely opens but crashes immediately. Long crash report follows. Have tried various suggestions on forum pages, i.e. removing extensions from library (found none), removed cache files from user library related to Safari. Deleted preference files from user library related to Safari. Still will not open. Also having trouble opening web pages in Google Chrome browser. This is happening after a recovery mode reinstall of system softeware.

Posted on Feb 13, 2013 5:21 PM

3 replies

Feb 14, 2013 6:49 AM in response to Dennis Robertson1

Please read this whole message before doing anything.

This procedure is a diagnostic test. It’s unlikely to solve your problem. Don’t be disappointed when you find that nothing has changed after you complete it.
The purpose of the test is to determine whether the problem is caused by third-party software that loads automatically at startup or login.

Disconnect all wired peripherals except those needed for the test, and remove all aftermarket expansion cards. Boot in safe mode* and log in to the account with the problem. The instructions provided by Apple are as follows:

• Shut down your computer, wait 30 seconds, and then hold down the shift key while pressing the power button.
  • When you see the gray Apple logo, release the shift key.
  • If you are prompted to log in, type your password, and then hold down the shift key again as you click Log in.
*Note: If FileVault is enabled under OS X 10.7 or later, or if a firmware password is set, or if the boot volume is a software RAID, you can’t boot in safe mode.

Safe mode is much slower to boot and run than normal, and some things won’t work at all, including wireless networking on certain Macs. The next normal boot may also be somewhat slow.
The login screen appears even if you usually log in automatically. You must know your login password in order to log in. If you’ve forgotten the password, you will need to reset it before you begin.

Test while in safe mode. Same problem?

After testing, reboot as usual (i.e., not in safe mode) and verify that you still have the problem. Post the results of the test.

Feb 14, 2013 9:09 AM in response to Dennis Robertson1

Thank you, Linc. I booted in Safe Mode and opened Safari. This time it stayed open. I immediately cleared history and reset Safari. The extensions panel showed clear as I was in safe mode. I also checked Mail and all traffic downloaded normally. Chrome checks out OK also.

I rebooted into its normal startup and all appears to be working as usual. The exensions file in Safari still shows to be empty. Hope this works for a while. Thanks, again.

Safari 6.0.2 will not start. Also Google Chrome will not load web pages.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.