Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

partition failed with error input output

Hi All,

I installed a new hard drive (WD 500G) into my 2006 Macbook, Mac OS X 10.4.10. I also increased the RAM to 2G. My Macbook reconized the hard drive. However, I followed the steps below to format the HD, but got the partition failed with error input output msg.

1. Went to Disk Utility, selected the name of new hard drive in the sidebar.

2. Select the Partition tab, and selected 1 partition from the drop down menu.

3. Click Options, then choose GUID .

4. Select Partition

In previous posts someone suggested updating the softward to 10.4.11 or the erasing the HD, but erasing the hard drive would take 13 hours according to my Macbook. Any suggestions? Please Help!

MacBook, Mac OS X (10.4.10)

Posted on Feb 13, 2013 7:38 PM

3 replies

Feb 13, 2013 7:42 PM in response to shansen007

The error usually means the drive is bad. But you can try this:

Erase and Install OS X

1. Boot from your OS X Installer Disc. After the installer loads select your language and click on the Continue button. When the menu bar appears select Disk Utility from the Utilities menu.

2. After DU loads select your hard drive (this is the entry with the mfgr.'s ID and size) from the left side list. Note the SMART status of the drive in DU's status area. If it does not say "Verified" then the drive is failing or has failed and will need replacing. SMART info will not be reported on external drives. Otherwise, click on the Partition tab in the DU main window.

3. Under the Volume Scheme heading set the number of partitions from the drop down menu to one. Click on the Options button, set the partition scheme to GUID then click on the OK button. Set the format type to Mac OS Extended (Journaled.) Click on the Partition button and wait until the process has completed.

4. Select the volume you just created (this is the sub-entry under the drive entry) from the left side list. Click on the Erase tab in the DU main window.

5. Set the format type to Mac OS Extended (Journaled.) Click on the Security button, check the button for Zero Data and click on OK to return to the Erase window.

6. Click on the Erase button. The format process can take up to several hours depending upon the drive size.

7. After formatting has finished quit DU and return to the installer. Install OS X.

Feb 21, 2013 2:06 PM in response to shansen007

UPDATE!

I tried to erase the disc but after about 2 hours got a failed error message. Next, I called the Apple's help line (800-MY-APPLE) but they wanted to charge me $20 for phone support b/c my 2006 Macbook was no longer under warrenty. Finally, I made an appt. at the Genius Bar and they installed Snow Leopard 10.6 on my Macbook....no questons asked! My Macbook is working great and with the extra RAM it's like a new machine. So if you're getting the partition error message and you're trying to format the new drive with the original disc (in my case Tiger 10.4.10) get a copy of Snow Leopard or go to the Genius Bar.

partition failed with error input output

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.