Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Is it possible to split Audio and Video signals to Apple TV

I am trying to set up an iPad for the classroom and have a quick question about audio and video from the iPad.

I would like to use Airplay to send Video to an Apple TV connected to a ceiling mounted projector. I am unsure about how to deal with audio though. The options are to attach speakers to the AppleTV, bt withthe way it's mounted this may be a problem. I would prefer to send the audio to a set of bluetooth or AirPlay speakers, either from the iPad or from the AppleTV. In this particular instillation we will probably present from a single location, so even using a pair of plugin speakers would be OK, I just don't know if I am able to keep audio and video separate.

Thanks for any help or tips you can offer.

Posted on Feb 13, 2013 7:26 PM

14 replies

Jan 25, 2017 3:59 PM in response to chickenchoker

Right, an iOS device can send audio and video together over AirPlay, so you can't split the audio out over Bluetooth and video over AirPlay. Not sure why, but it is what it is.

If you're sending video content from an iOS device to an AppleTV, the ATV can route the audio to another device over AirPlay, or Bluetooth (if you have a 4th gen ATV) .

Aug 30, 2017 10:42 AM in response to ClopasR

That's because Google Cast works differently and has its own sets of limitations. Basically a Cast device like Google Chromecast, is a web browser on a stick. When a cast session is opened, you're literally telling the Chromecast to load a webpage. There's some "magic" that happens with communication to that device using sockets, but otherwise it's just a web browser.

Apple TV is different in that the audio and video stream are digitally compressed into an MPEG stream and sent directly to the device... no Internet required. In fact, AppleTV can also work with peer-to-peer WiFi content delivery. It ensures that audio and video coming from iOS or macOS is as quality as the network will allow and remain in sync.

The downside to this is of course, you can't split the audio stream from the video stream.

Oct 3, 2017 10:46 AM in response to OnSong

Actually, that's exactly what I was using - peer-to-peer WiFi content delivery to a projector, while connecting speakers directly (via the 3.5mm jack) to my device. The video file was always a local file residing on the device. This never used to work with my iPad, it would send both the audio and the video to the projector. I tried an Android device and it did exactly what I wanted - sent out the video over WiFi, and the audio over the 3.5mm output jack to the speakers. I wanted to know if I could replicate this on the iPad - would save me a lot of hassle!

Feb 13, 2013 8:18 PM in response to JIEC_DOTT

Apple TV can send its audio output to another AirPlay device (e.g. AirPlay speakers, an AirPort Express, even another Apple TV). So the Apple TV's video output would go to the overhead projector via HDMI, with the audio would be sent out to a remote audio device via AirPlay. All this with the source of the video originating from the iPad.

Feb 13, 2013 8:20 PM in response to JIEC_DOTT

I actually investigated what you're asking, and what happens is that the you'll get a lag on the sound, so the audio and video would be out of sync. And I was trying this from my iMac which gives me much more powerful control over how to output sound.

With your iPad, you don't have that kind of choice. You can only choose one output, which would, in this case, be Airplay. You could use the AppleTV's optical out or use its Airplay sound out and try to sync the sound, unless there's no lag.

You can't even run sound out of the headphone jack to external speakers while Airplay is running.

You're kind of stuck.

Feb 19, 2013 7:04 PM in response to JIEC_DOTT

Actually as of the 5.2 software update, Apple TV does support sending audio separately to an Airplay device and having it work in sync with the video:

http://support.apple.com/kb/ht4448

However, it seems still limited to certain apps (such as Youtube on iPad) and general AirPlay mirroring doesn't seem to offer this option. Someone please correct me if there's in fact a way to do this when mirroring...

Feb 20, 2013 5:31 PM in response to graukatzen

graukatzen wrote:

However, it seems still limited to certain apps (such as Youtube on iPad) and general AirPlay mirroring doesn't seem to offer this option. Someone please correct me if there's in fact a way to do this when mirroring...

Re-routing the audio to a different AirPlay device is done from the ATV settings, not from the AirPlay setting on the iPad (or whatever you're using as the AirPlay source to play through the ATV). In ATV settings, you can designate a different AirPlay device for audio output.

I know this works with videos that are resident on my iPad, and when playing content that is selected by the ATV (rented movies, YouTube, etc.) What I don't know is if it works for 3rd party apps that mirror from the iPad to the ATV -- i.e. can the audio portion of mirroring be re-routed to a different AirPlay device? That I don't know, but will give it a shot in the coming days.

Is it possible to split Audio and Video signals to Apple TV

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.