Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How can I share files from Snow Leopard to Lion?

I have an iMac running 10.6.8 with file sharing turned on. (I've tried AFP and SMB).

I am trying to connect to the iMac on my LAN using a Macbook Pro with 10.7.5.

I am immediately prompted to authenticate – so I am confident a connection is being made (I am also able to ping) – but when I enter my user credentials from the iMac, I get the spinner (not the beach ball) basically forever. I've let it go for several minutes and nothing ever happens.

This article seems related, but following the procedure in it did not help:

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4700

Has anybody been able to file share from Snow Leopard to Lion or Mountain Lion?

Mac OS X (10.6.8), Mac OS X (10.7.5)

Posted on Feb 13, 2013 7:24 PM

6 replies

Feb 14, 2013 7:20 AM in response to Anthony Bosio

You have heeded the caution about turning off the firewall, you are on the same subnet, and you have verified that the shared user is enabled on the iMac with the correct authorization and permissions? Password has to be that of the user account on the iMac?

If you grow weary of this, you might just bring the Macbook Pro over to the iMac and use Target Disk Mode to mount that iMac on your Macbook Pro as a desktop disk. Then drag and drop. No a long term solution.

Feb 16, 2013 10:31 AM in response to VikingOSX

VikingOSX wrote:

You have heeded the caution about turning off the firewall, you are on the same subnet, and you have verified that the shared user is enabled on the iMac with the correct authorization and permissions? Password has to be that of the user account on the iMac?

• The firewall is off on both computers.
  • How can I werify the shared user is enabled on the iMac with the correct authorization and permission? It does not seem like sharing is configured per user. The user is my normal user account which I use when logged into that machine for everything. I am using those credentials when trying to connect from the Macbook Pro. In the past I did this frequently without trouble. I am not sure when the problem started but the only thing that has changed was I got a newer Macbook Pro last year with Lion.

If you grow weary of this, you might just bring the Macbook Pro over to the iMac and use Target Disk Mode to mount that iMac on your Macbook Pro as a desktop disk. Then drag and drop. No a long term solution.

This is not practical for me as I frquently have need to work from another room using the Macbook Pro and with files that typically live on the iMac (and get backed up from that location). I am making due with Dropbox for now, but the reason I have been driven to post here is that I am looking for the long term solution.

Thanks for feedback. Let me know if you have any additional thoughts.

Feb 16, 2013 10:45 AM in response to MrHoffman

MrHoffman wrote:

10.7 connects to 10.6, and 10.6 connects to 10.7, both via AFP, with no settings changes (beyond setting up the sharing) required. Verified.

Launch Console.app from Applications > Utilities (on both ends of the connection) and see if there's anything relevant getting logged.

I have not been able to discern anything useful from Console on either side.

When I hit Command-K in Finder and then choose try afp://[my-imac-ip] I get the following in Console:

2/16/13 1:33:17.000 PM kernel: AppleSRP started.

And a Finder progress bar for "Connecting to afp://[my-imac-ip]" that never shows and progress and a spinner in the Connect to Server window that spins forever.

--

This is interesting. I was just able to connect to my iMac from my wife's Macbook which is also running 10.7.5 (just like the Macbook Pro I am trying to use) with no problems.

I also cannot connect to her Macbook from my Macbook Pro.

All computers are on the same wifi network.

Apr 15, 2014 2:21 PM in response to Anthony Bosio

I tried the afp idea and, when successful, I can connect from MacBookPro (10.8) to iMac (10.6). When I try to drag a file over, it asks for password (of the MBP account, not the iMac) and then says file exists: overwrite, keep both copies... If I say overwrite, it creates a zero MB file. Never before did it ask for my home password. Oh- if I click "keep both" then it goes into a loop creating many many zero size files. When I tried with Terminal to ping the iMac, I got the series of messages: Request Timeout...

Network is Comcast using Zoom 3, model 5341J modem that is connected to Airport Extreme.

How can I share files from Snow Leopard to Lion?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.