Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Are the 15 inch rMBPs still lagging in safari and the UI?

I'm wanting to buy a retina MacBook Pro (the top end 15") but have heard that the machine lags in general use and in safari because of the retina display. Has this been fixed? This computer will be a significant investment and I do not want to be unhappy with it as I want to keep it for years. By the way I'm only really using it to surf the net, store media and type up documents but I really want the retina display and need plenty of storage.

Posted on Feb 14, 2013 3:50 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 14, 2013 3:57 AM

Well Good Luck with that, IE keeping it for years.

This is not a wide spread problem. It is specific to certain rMBP units. The cause is unknown.

Save yourself the expense and haedache of the Retina and buy a Top of the Line standard 15".

With either make sure you budget Applecare warranty, especially on the Retina model, as to fix any Mac out of worranty is very expensive. More so for the Retina models as all parts are either glued into the case parts or soldered to the Logic board. The only 2 parts that aren't soldered or glued inplace are the fans and the actual Flash Storage (SSD).

Also the Retina is NON Upgradable. Not parts are replaceable by the end user. So if you run out of storage space you are out of storage space. No upgrading the SSD to a larger one.

Good Luck & Best Wishes.

9 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 14, 2013 3:57 AM in response to Roganjosh01

Well Good Luck with that, IE keeping it for years.

This is not a wide spread problem. It is specific to certain rMBP units. The cause is unknown.

Save yourself the expense and haedache of the Retina and buy a Top of the Line standard 15".

With either make sure you budget Applecare warranty, especially on the Retina model, as to fix any Mac out of worranty is very expensive. More so for the Retina models as all parts are either glued into the case parts or soldered to the Logic board. The only 2 parts that aren't soldered or glued inplace are the fans and the actual Flash Storage (SSD).

Also the Retina is NON Upgradable. Not parts are replaceable by the end user. So if you run out of storage space you are out of storage space. No upgrading the SSD to a larger one.

Good Luck & Best Wishes.

Feb 14, 2013 5:24 AM in response to Shootist007

Shootist007 is not 100% correct. The flash storage can be upgraded by the user in the retina, but at this time there is only a limited source to purchase larger flash storage drives for the retina. This means they are expensive, but still cheaper than buying directly through Apple. Also, using Webkit instead of Safari eliminates the majority of the lag in the retina browsing experience. However, the UI does still experience lag and the current integrated graphics drivers suck. Hopefully 10.8.3 fixes both of these issues, but we have to wait and see.

Feb 14, 2013 5:46 AM in response to cbs20

And in doing so, buying anbd installing an Aftermarket SSD, you would VOID ALL WARRANTIES.

As there are NO Apple approved USER Upgrades.

So that is basically the same as what I posted. No User Upgrades. That is IF you want to keep your warranty.

cbs20 wrote:

Shootist007 is not 100% correct. The flash storage can be upgraded by the user in the retina, but at this time there is only a limited source to purchase larger flash storage drives for the retina. This means they are expensive, but still cheaper than buying directly through Apple. Also, using Webkit instead of Safari eliminates the majority of the lag in the retina browsing experience. However, the UI does still experience lag and the current integrated graphics drivers suck. Hopefully 10.8.3 fixes both of these issues, but we have to wait and see.

And as far as Apple fixing problems that are more hardware related then software with an Update to the OS people have been looking for that for YEARS for many different versions of OS X and models of Mac computers.

It Never comes.

The reason for that is most accept the problems and then go right out and BUY another Apple device. So why should Apple fix these problems. The Fan Base is going to buy another Apple anyway.

Feb 14, 2013 6:54 AM in response to Shootist007

Shootist007 wrote:

And as far as Apple fixing problems that are more hardware related then software with an Update to the OS people have been looking for that for YEARS for many different versions of OS X and models of Mac computers.

Well this makes it sound like you're claiming that the lagging described by the OP is more hardware releated than software related and I just wanted you to explain what you are basing that off of? If I misinterpreted what you were trying to say then I apologize.

Feb 14, 2013 7:16 AM in response to Shootist007

It is sad to say, but I do have to agree with you about Apple not being too concerned unless it completely prevents a computer from working. This issue is for sure a software issue though. As I stated earlier using Webkit resolves almost all lag when browsing and the UI lag is very inconsistent as in it comes and goes. When running bootcamp Windows 7 there is absolutely no lag and in Windows the HiDPI isn't being implemented so it seems that the HiDPI may be the issue in OS X. Shootist007 are you using a 15inch retina and not experiencing any lag?

Feb 14, 2013 7:31 AM in response to cbs20

Apple has had since Lion 10.7.3 to fix this issue with the Retina and they haven't. That is 10.7.4 and .5 and Mt Lion 10.8.0, .1 and now .2

But yet there are people that still think they will fix it in the Next Release. Kind of like the iPhone 4S that didn't include 4G service when every other phone manufacturer was including it with there newest phones.

Like I said if it turns on and loads the OS completely there is nothing wrong. What happens after the initial loading of the OS they don't care about.

Are the 15 inch rMBPs still lagging in safari and the UI?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.