Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple TV3 and TV2 will not update to 5.2

Same problem that seems to happen with every update. Brand new Apple TV is stuck at "Step One of Two." Same with old Apple TV 2. It will not update via wi-fi or ethernet cable. It will not update via iTunes. iTunes reports that the downloaded file is corrupted. Downloading the software at mirror sites and trying to use iTunes to update from the downloaded file also gives a report that the downloaded file is corrupted. Downloading 5.1.1 and attempting a restore from that file just hangs. I ran that all night with no progress.

Both Apple TVs display severe artifacts on the screen, including screen freezing while the sound continues -- even on completely downloaded movies. The movies are basically unwatchable.

Apple has been unable to fix these problems for years, now. I have an extensive iTunes movie library which is worthless because DRM prevents watching the movies using any other device. The way I see it, either give me an Apple TV that actually works or refund the money I spent on my iTunes movies.

Between this and the stupid MacBook Pro wi-fi problems I may never buy an Apple product again.

Posted on Feb 14, 2013 6:23 AM

There are no replies.

Apple TV3 and TV2 will not update to 5.2

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.