Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Java Preferences does not open

I am running OS 10.6.8. My JRE was automatically updated, for security reasons, to 10.6 update 12, which is, I believe Java 1.6.0_39. Now my Java Preferences pane does not open, but bounces uselessly in the dock. Force Quit does not work, because a new instance opens as soon as the old one closes. I repaired my permissions using OnyX, but that did not improve things.I googled the problem, and it does not seem to be a known or widespread issue. I would be very grateful for any insight.

iMac, Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Feb 14, 2013 7:32 AM

5 replies

Feb 14, 2013 12:23 PM in response to baltwo

baltwo --

Thank you for that clarification. Yes, I mean the Java Preferences.app in the Utlities folder. As you suggested, I downloaded and installed update 12 manually, but the problem persists -- Java Preferences just bounces uselessly in the dock.

Is there a way to download and reinstall Java Preferences.app? Is there another way to turn Java on when I need it to run a desktop app and then off again for security purposes? (I have Java disabled in all my browsers, but I'm a belt-and-suspenders kind of guy. :-) ) Any additional help would be appreciated.

-- Steve

Feb 14, 2013 12:36 PM in response to Steve Beyer

Thanks for clearing up the confusion. Step one would be to move these to the Desktop from your user's /Library/Preferences/ folder and relaunch the app.

com.apple.java.JavaPreferences.plist

com.apple.java.security.plist

com.apple.java.util.prefs.plist

and

com.apple.java.JavaPreferences.XXXXXXXXXXXXXX.plist from the ByHost subfolder

AFAICT, the app is included in the update. Alternatively, you could use Pacifist to extract it from the update package.

Java Preferences does not open

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.