Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why can't I create a new version of a photo edited in an external application, without Aperture making a new copy of the newly created Tiff?

When Aperture creates a new version from a RAW file, no new master file is created. This makes total sense and I understand why.

When I edit a photo in an external editor (Photoshop CS6) from within Aperture, Aperture creates a Tiff file to edit in Photoshop and saves it along with the RAW original once I have finished editing it in Photoshop. I understand why this is necessary too. So far so good.

But if I then ask Aperture to create a new version from the newly created image edited via Photoshop, it creates another new Tiff. I can't see why this is necessary. Aperture should be able to apply further new Aperture edits to the newly created Tiff in the same way that it creates new versions from a RAW file without duplicating the master - by remembering any new 'recipe' changes applied to the Tiff. It only needs to remember the edits made as the Tiff already now exists.

Can I stop it creating repeat Tiff files each time I create a new version from the Photoshoped photos?

Thanks in anticipation.

iMac, OS X Mountain Lion, Apple Magic Trackpad/Wired Keyboard

Posted on Feb 14, 2013 9:42 AM

2 replies

Feb 14, 2013 11:00 AM in response to Kirby Krieger

Hello Kirby,

I clicked on the 'Show in Finder' and it revealed a new file called IMG_0961 (1) which goes with the original IMG_0961.CR2 and the edited new tiff created for Photoshop which was called IMG_0961.tiff

I noticed also that a separate version I had previously created using Canon's DPP stand alone software and titled by me IMG_0961 (DPP).TIF (same thing but from a different original) does not form a new master file when I create a new version of that one. I've tried this with a few images but when the original is edited in Photoshop via Aperture a second version of the Tiff is created for the 1st version of the image when I create a new version fo it.

Why can't I create a new version of a photo edited in an external application, without Aperture making a new copy of the newly created Tiff?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.