Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I've bought an used ipad, can i change the proprietary from the old one to my name??

I mean i've bought and used ipad 2 from a guy in ebay, so, i want to change the propietary of the ipad to me, cause when i try to register the used ipad to my account it says that i cant cause it has been already registred with another apple Id.

iPad 2, iOS 6.1.1

Posted on Feb 14, 2013 10:20 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 14, 2013 10:22 AM

Welcome to the Apple Support Communities

You have to contact with the seller in order to make him/her delete the iPad from his/her Apple ID. To remove a device, open http://supportprofile.apple.com, log in with an Apple ID, press "Edit Product" and press the X key next to the iPad.

That's what the seller has to do in order to allow you to register the iPad on your Apple ID. If you can't contact with him/her, you won't be able to register your iPad with your Apple ID, so I suggest you to return the iPad, if you can

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 14, 2013 10:22 AM in response to Alexmac07

Welcome to the Apple Support Communities

You have to contact with the seller in order to make him/her delete the iPad from his/her Apple ID. To remove a device, open http://supportprofile.apple.com, log in with an Apple ID, press "Edit Product" and press the X key next to the iPad.

That's what the seller has to do in order to allow you to register the iPad on your Apple ID. If you can't contact with him/her, you won't be able to register your iPad with your Apple ID, so I suggest you to return the iPad, if you can

Dec 17, 2013 6:12 AM in response to Alexmac07

My seller on e-bay was forced to FINALLY give me his Apple ID and Password (also answers to security questions to finally re-set all of Apple's security stuff on their website) when I got my wife a used iPad 2 for her business this Christmas. Not a good resolution. However, you ABSOLUTELY cannot re-set an iPad 2, using OS 7 (or presumably later updates), because of the security features found in the OS, simply by following the steps outlined on this thread at http://supportprofile.apple.com and https://supportprofile.apple.com/MySupportProfile.do. My seller followed those instructions to the letter and also did: un-link/sync the device from his iTunes program on his computer, delete it from his Apple ID and re-set the iPad through general preferences on the device before he mailed it to me. All suggestions made here or on other Apple Community threads. When I got it last week, it was a brick which still demanded his old Apple ID and password regardless as to what we did. So, the solution, in my opinion, (since most sellers are not going to be comfortable with giving up their info) is for the Seller, before he delivers it to a buyer, to: [1] perform the 3 steps I referenced above; [2] using his existing Apple ID, password and security questions, set-up a new account at Apple with a new name (John Doe) email address and password which CAN be shared with the buyer. Something simple like getting a yahoo or gmail address, logging into the iPad's old account and changing everything to this new email address, a mutually-agreed upon password and at least 2 security questions/answers; [3] BEFORE mailing the iPad, go into "general" preferences and change everything to John Doe instead of the old seller's name; [4] Once the buyer gets it, they will have to change everything into their name with their own account settings, preferences, etc. And, if it's true that Apple will make them wait 90 days to do another re-set, all one can say is "Thank you Apple" for making a used market for your devices as difficult as possible.

I've bought an used ipad, can i change the proprietary from the old one to my name??

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.