Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Drawing a cylinder or a rhomboid in Pages

How can I draw a cylinder or a rhomboid in Pages either of which I can drag to change size ie as per Word?

Mac OS X (10.7.4)

Posted on Feb 14, 2013 11:54 AM

13 replies

Feb 14, 2013 12:31 PM in response to PaulSG

Here is a cylinder made from two circles and a rectangle with use of the graphic and metric inspectors. Once you have grouped all three scaled and layered objects, you can scale and rotate the finished object. Not a true drawing tool, so no lines of perspective effect. You can use image and gradient fills from the inspector to further tweak your creations into more realistic quality.

Front circle: 0.89 inch in diameter.

Back circle: 0.86 inch in diameter.

Rectangle: 1.25 inch wide x 0.89 high.

User uploaded file

Feb 14, 2013 10:34 PM in response to PaulSG

Hi Paul,

Yes - I tried that too and built one but it's not editable - not in the same way as Word for instance.

Page 147 of the Pages User Guide:

Editing Shapes

You can manipulate and reshape the points and contours of a shape you’ve already placed on a page. Before you can edit a shape in this way, you need to make it editable.

Thanks anyway - guess I'll have to use word and copy/paste.

It took me 5 minutes to browse the User Guide and turn a rectangle into a parallelogram:

User uploaded file

And I have never before tried this in Pages.

Too easy!

Regards, Ian.

Message was edited by: Yellowbox Sorry, shape not pasting. But it is causing interesting layout of text!

Feb 15, 2013 1:55 AM in response to Yellowbox

Wow, a veritable torrent of responses!Thanks all. (..though I don't quite understand fruhulda's point)

However!! I am aware of the User Guide info and the selection of "make editable" but has anyone tried rotating and/or extending the rhomboid in relation to, say, an oblique view of a flat surface? (For example when drawing a building diagram showing a beam coming off a vertical wall.)

User uploaded file

Feb 15, 2013 3:57 AM in response to PeterBreis0807

Peter,

I can't wait to see images of your solution.

Paul,

You have me beaten. I tried every way (including searching the User Guide 😉) to stretch an oblique view of a beam *at the same angle* whilst *constraining* the vertical and horizontal dimensions.

I tried it in Pages and Integlio app. No go.

The best I could do in Pages was this:

Step 1. recreate your first image:

User uploaded file

Step 2. Add 8 (shorter, red) lines over the black lines:

User uploaded file

Step 3. Delete the black lines

User uploaded file

This is your working pattern.

Group the bits belonging to the object on the right, then drag that group up and to the right.

Add black lines to join the 2 ends and to act as guides so you can drag the right hand end into alignment.

Delete red lines.

Phew! If the drawing tools in Word can stretch a beam as you have shown, I am mightily impressed!

Ian

Drawing a cylinder or a rhomboid in Pages

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.