Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPod nano (7th Gen) Battery Drain Problem

I'm wondering if anyone out there has any solutuons or suggestions for my iPod nano (7th generation) problem.

Problem:

- The battery drains very quickly.

- Fully charged, the iPod only plays about 2-3 hours of music before it dies.

- The battery drains when not in use as well. After letting it go to sleep or turning it off completely, when turned back on, the battery goes from 100% to what looks like the 80% mark on the battery icon. If at 50% and letting it go to sleep or turned off, turning it back on after a full day it goes to abiut 30% of battery life left.

What I have tried:

- I've made sure that I've charged it fully by using both a wall outlet and through the USB port on my Macbook Air. The results were the same.

- The iPod software is up to date, version 1.0.2.

- As per Apple's instructions, I've tried the 5 R's repeatedly... reset, retry, restart, reinstall, or restore.

- I've made sure that my iTunes is the most current version, 11.0.1 (12) and restored the iPod from my MacBook Air which is running Mountain Lion OSX 10.8.2.

- I've returned my iPod back to factory settings and synced it to my older MacBook (white colored) which is running 10.6.8, and it still had the same problems.

- I've taken my original iPod nano to the Genius Bar and the tech verified that the battery level was visably draining while we were talking. He replaced it with a reburbished unit.

- I synced this second one to my iTunes and had the same problem. I did all the above steps again and the battery is still draining way too quickly.

- I again took it back to the Apple Store and a different tech said that maybe I had too much stored in my iPod which is rated at 16GB, I probably has about 13GB in it (only music, no videos). But he added that it was unlikely that the iPod would drain the battery that much even with a full drive. Like the other tech, he saw the battery bar drain and replaced it with another refurbished iPod nano.

- I'm now on my third iPod nano. I synced it, but this time I only put 8GB of music on it. I am having the same problems. I tried all of the above again and still the battery drains super fast.

Questions:

- Anyone know what else I can try?

- Anyone have similar problems?

- Is it the kind of music files that I'm using? Most are AAC, some are MP3.

- Am I just getting bum iPod nanos?

If anyone can chime in with any useful info, I'd appreciate it. Thank in advance.

iPod nano, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.2), 7th Generation

Posted on Feb 14, 2013 12:12 PM

3 replies

Mar 8, 2013 2:53 PM in response to jenlet78

Thanks for chiming in. I took my iPod back to the Apple Store and they said because it was my 3rd time going in with the same problem, they couldn't do anything for me and referred me to Apple's mail-in service where they can get into it more. I had to leave on a trip (which I'm currently on) and didn't have time to mail it in. I'm fed up with the problem at this point and might end up selling it or something unless a solution can be found before I get back. I sold my 5th Gen iPod Nano to get this one, which I regret doing now. The 5th Gen is far superior to this 7th in my opinion. If you find out how to fix yours, please update me. Thanks again and good luck!

iPod nano (7th Gen) Battery Drain Problem

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.