Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Upgraded RAM on Macbook Pro, Battery Issues

Good afternoon Bright Ones!

So I have an Early 2011 MBP with the 2.3 Ghz i5 and running OS X 10.8.2

Yesterday, I thought it would be a great idea to upgrade the RAM on my little friend. I was super careful with anti-static procedures and workspace cleanliness. The memory replacement went off without a hitch in that the computer booted right up and the new memory is showing in the "About This Mac" screen, BUT now the MBP will not run on its internal battery at all. I am getting the 'X" over the battery icon and the green light is staying illuminated on the charger. In the System Report => Hardware => Power => Battery Information scree, it is showing as No Battery Installed.

Battery Information:

Charge Information:

Charge Remaining (mAh): 0

Fully Charged: No

Charging: No

Full Charge Capacity (mAh): 0

Health Information:

Cycle Count: 0

Battery Installed: No

Amperage (mA): 0

Voltage (mV): 0

System Power Settings:

AC Power:

System Sleep Timer (Minutes): 10

Disk Sleep Timer (Minutes): 10

Display Sleep Timer (Minutes): 10

Wake on AC Change: No

Wake on Clamshell Open: Yes

Wake on LAN: Yes

Current Power Source: Yes

Display Sleep Uses Dim: Yes

PrioritizeNetworkReachabilityOverSleep: 0

Standby Delay: 4200

Standby Enabled: 0

Battery Power:

System Sleep Timer (Minutes): 10

Disk Sleep Timer (Minutes): 10

Display Sleep Timer (Minutes): 5

Wake on AC Change: No

Wake on Clamshell Open: Yes

Display Sleep Uses Dim: Yes

Reduce Brightness: Yes

Standby Delay: 4200

Standby Enabled: 0

Hardware Configuration:

UPS Installed: No

AC Charger Information:

Connected: Yes

ID: 0x0100

Wattage (W): 60

Revision: 0x0000

Family: 0x00ba

Serial Number: 0x00babef5

Charging: No

Any thoughts on how to rememedy this issue?

MacBook Pro, OS X Mountain Lion

Posted on Feb 14, 2013 2:07 PM

6 replies

Feb 14, 2013 2:51 PM in response to Home_Brew

Are you sure you didn't accidentally disconnect any other wires or connections for the battery when you went to replace the memory. Upgrading memory doesn't cause this type of problem and it's as simple as unscrewing the bottom off the laptop, taking the cover off, removing the two old memory modules, installing the new ones and putting the cover back on. If you moved or had to move any cables to do any of the above, you did something wrong.

Feb 14, 2013 3:02 PM in response to SwankPeRFection

"Are you sure you didn't accidentally disconnect any other wires or connections for the battery when you went to replace the memory. Upgrading memory doesn't cause this type of problem and it's as simple as unscrewing the bottom off the laptop, taking the cover off, removing the two old memory modules, installing the new ones and putting the cover back on. If you moved or had to move any cables to do any of the above, you did something wrong."

Well, I consulting quite a few websites regarding the procedure(s) and one in particular, Other World Computing (OWC) had a video in which they suggested to unplug the Battery Connector before removing/reinstalling the memory modules. I'm fairly sure that I got it re-connected as it was.

Could unplugging the Battery Connector cause some sort of reset or something?

Feb 14, 2013 8:53 PM in response to Home_Brew

That's your problem right there. You followed OWC's writeups. lol

As long as the laptop is turned off (OSX Shut down), there should be no issues, and while I agree that it would be a good idea to disconnect all power sources from the machine, sometimes (for novice users) this can cause problems because breaking a connector or some other bad luch issue could arise.

My suggestion, open the laptop back up and check that you didn't bend any pins or something on that battery connector. The machine isn't seeing the battery, that's your whole problem and that happened because you disconnected it. Figure out what's not right with that battery connection and your problem will be fixed.

Upgraded RAM on Macbook Pro, Battery Issues

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.