Newsroom Update

Beginning in May, a special Today at Apple series titled “Made for Business” will offer small business owners and entrepreneurs free opportunities to learn how Apple products and services can support their growth and success. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How Can I Disable "Sharing" Preference Pane for Users via ARD?

I manage a client base of about 80 Macs. I use Apple Remote Desktop to manage these clients, but some hard-headed users keep disabling Remote Login and Remote Management, preventing me from running software updates and enforcing policies via ARD.

The complication is that all of our users are administrators on their Macs, and I don't know what the implications will be of changing that, or if it will even be possible in our environment. Is there a way to hide the Sharing Preference Pane, prevent the users from turning off Remote Login and Remote Management or otherwise block users from turning ARD off, short of blocking access to System Preferences, which would also prevent them from being able to change their passwords?

We have a Windows/Active Directory environment, with no Apple server.

Mac Pro, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.2), Apple Remote Desktop

Posted on Feb 14, 2013 4:24 PM

1 reply

Feb 18, 2013 1:12 AM in response to BamaKarl

Use osx server to manage the client machines Mac mini server is cheap

With 80 macs you probably should be managing them anyhow

Change their accounts to standard user

Change the admin password

Changing accounts to standard user will stop them changing settings and installing whatever they like

Stops users applying updates you have not authorised

Also puts you at less risk of some attack methods automatically and silently installing on the admin account

How Can I Disable "Sharing" Preference Pane for Users via ARD?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.