Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

WLAN speed Apple TV3 slow?

Hello!

I have a AVM Fritzbox 7390 and different Apple products attached via WLAN. Here are the speeds (all devices are working in 2,4Ghz band!) I am getting:

devicespeed
iMac (2007)160Mbit/s
Netgear WNCE 3001 (Dual Band WLAN to LAN adapter)210MBit/s
Netgear WNDA 3100 (Dual Band WLAN USB adapter)210MBit/s
Apple TV1160Mbit/s
iPod Touch 3G/4G65Mbit/s
iPhone 4S65Mbit/s
Apple TV2/365Mbit/s

After asking some friends with other Apple devices and with different WLAN routers, they all told me the same speeds.

So here is my question:

Why has the old Apple TV1 a so fast WLAN connection and all the new Apple devices: iPod Touch, iPhone 4S and Apple TV 2/3 have so slow connections?

It is regardless if the devices are near the WLAN router or far away, the speed is always so slow. And the Apple TV1 is two floors away from the router and inside a wooden cupboard!

Can someone give me some help here?

Thanks in advance!

Carsten

Apple TV (3rd generation), iOS 6.1.1

Posted on Feb 15, 2013 1:10 AM

14 replies

Feb 15, 2013 4:24 AM in response to Winston Churchill

I tried to use AirPlay mirroring from my iPhone 4S to my Apple TV 3 and it is not really working.

It is not working fluently if I eg. play Need for Speed Most wanted. You see only a few frames then it stops and then you see a few frames. This happens also when I use the Apple TV to show my camera roll of the iPhone 4S. It takes really long to display an image.

Feb 16, 2013 7:26 AM in response to carstenf

Only AirPlay mirroring is not working fluently.

AirPlay mirroring places more demand on your network than other types of network activity.

Why is the old Apple TV1 faster than the new Apple TV3?

It isn't. I assume you are referring to your earlier table. Whilst the Apple TV 1 may be connected on a 160 Mbps connection, it will only receive data at around 14 Mbps, I've never actually measured the Apple TV 3, but it's likely to be quite a bit faster since it has flash memory. HD movies from the iTunes Store are about 6 Mbps maximum and iMovie (for example) will create video at around 10 Mbps, providing your network can deliver a minimum of these datarates you shouldn't have any problems.

Feb 16, 2013 12:39 PM in response to carstenf

carstenf wrote:

>but when only 1,2 device is on wifi AirPlay works perfect

I tested this today, but there was no change. I had only the WLAn router, the Apple TV3 and the iPhone 4S active in my WLAN but Airplay mirroring is not really possible. :-(

Yes, that's your network, it's not related to the maximum datarate possible for each device.

Feb 17, 2013 6:19 AM in response to carstenf

The following article(s) may help you.

Troubleshooting WiFi Networks

However, I find most issues are related to distance or interference.

Intermittent problems are often a result of interference. Interference can be caused by other networks in the neighbourhood or from household electrical items.

You can download and install iStumbler (NetStumbler for windows users) to help you see which channels are used by neighbouring networks so that you can avoid them, but iStumbler will not see household items.

Refer to your router manual for instructions on changing your wifi channel or adjusting your multicast rate.

There are other types of problems that can affect networks, but this is by far the most common, hence worth mentioning first. Networks that have inherent issues can be seen to work differently with different versions of the same software. You might also try moving the Apple TV away from other electrical equipment.

WLAN speed Apple TV3 slow?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.