Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Airport Extreme: Turn off 2,4 GHz wireless network

Hi,

I would like to run my AExt with the 5 GHz wireless network only, is this possible?

Thanks,

Andre

MacBook Pro, OS X Mountain Lion

Posted on Feb 15, 2013 4:14 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 15, 2013 6:20 AM

No, this is not possible.

The AirPort Extreme will always produce both a 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz band. It is not possible to turn one off and leave the other on.

It is possible though, to assign a separate wireless network name to the 5 GHz band....if that is of any interest.

8 replies

Feb 15, 2013 7:27 AM in response to andrepeternell

Did you consider the option to assign a separate name to the 5 GHz network? Or, are you saying that you have a separate name for the 5 GHz network and the iPhone still connects at 2.4 GHz?

If I assign a separate name to the 5 GHz band here, I can "point" my iPhone at that band and it always connects to 5 GHz. You should be able to do this unless the iPhone is having a WiFi issue.

Airport Extreme: Turn off 2,4 GHz wireless network

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.