Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Photos scanned on earlier Mac have blurred/pixelated thumbnails?

Photos scanned on an earlier Mac with an earlier OS have pixelated thumbnails though when opened the picture is perfect.

User uploaded file

I had the same problem years ago.

Is there a quick and easy way to bring the thumbnails up to date or will I have to re-save every one?

iMac, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.2), Little knowledge... many opinions.

Posted on Feb 15, 2013 3:31 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 15, 2013 4:35 AM

The files likely have custom icons which were created by your scanning program.

Select one of them and open the Inspector (cmd-shift-i). Select the icon in the top, left and press delete. The icon on the Inspector should return to a generic file icon and the OS will render the icon based on the image in the file.

You can then select the next image and the Inspector window will update to reflect what you have selected.

If you have a lot of them, you might be able to remove all with an Applescript. There is a Mac OS X Technologies forum where the Applescripters hang out.

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 15, 2013 4:35 AM in response to Ian R. Brown

The files likely have custom icons which were created by your scanning program.

Select one of them and open the Inspector (cmd-shift-i). Select the icon in the top, left and press delete. The icon on the Inspector should return to a generic file icon and the OS will render the icon based on the image in the file.

You can then select the next image and the Inspector window will update to reflect what you have selected.

If you have a lot of them, you might be able to remove all with an Applescript. There is a Mac OS X Technologies forum where the Applescripters hang out.

Feb 15, 2013 5:39 AM in response to Barney-15E

Thanks Barney.

Unfortunately I have hundreds and posted in the Tech dept as you suggested.

However, I then had second thoughts and selected ALL the photos, clicking cmd opt i and believe it or not, just one Get Info window opened representing all of them!

One deletion and every thumbnail was renewed.

WARNING TO OTHERS! Do not control-click all the pictures and select Get Info otherwise your desktop will be inundated with hundreds of Get Info windows.

Feb 16, 2013 12:18 AM in response to Barney-15E

I didn't populate my desktop with a thousand windows and you didn't get the keys wrong.

Both combinations seem to have the same effect in that multiple selections produce just one window.

I'm just puzzled why control clicking multiple items and selecting "Get Info" from the contextual menu results in multiple windows as they seem like the same commands?

Feb 16, 2013 6:30 AM in response to Ian R. Brown

I don't get anything with shift, only option.

Get Info used to work that way until they created the Inspector. Now, if you want to Get Info on a group of items, you use the Inspector. Regular Get Info will open a single window for every item selected.

I'm not sure how the contextual menu is any different; I don't see any on mine. Just regular and with option.

Photos scanned on earlier Mac have blurred/pixelated thumbnails?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.