Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to type symbols such as ⌘, ⌥ and ⏏ directly from keyboard?

Sometimes when we type something to other Mac users, symbols like ⌘ and ⌥ are extremelly usefull.

But I can't find out how to type them directly from the keyboard. I allways must look for them in others' texts and copy from there.

Isn't there any shortcut key to type them, just like we can do with the apple symbol () through Shift-Option-k?

Regards, Ciro.

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.6.7), 2.3 GHz Core i5, 8 Gb DDR3 1333MHz

Posted on Feb 15, 2013 5:57 AM

4 replies

Feb 15, 2013 6:03 AM in response to Ciro Bruno

From Kappy:

"Open the International preferences. Click on the Input Menu tab. Check the boxes for Character Palette and Keyboard Viewer. A menubar item will appear from which you can select each. The Keyboard Viewer is easy to use at it will show you what keys will produce when pressed for any font. Select Wingdings from the drop down menu. You will see numerous characters of which the symbols you want are displayed. If you then use the WingDing font you can insert those characters in the text. If you use the Character Palette you can even select a character and directly insert it: ⌘, ⎇. These are available under Symbols/Technical Symbols."

Feb 15, 2013 6:57 AM in response to sig

sig wrote:

The Keyboard Viewer is easy to use at it will show you what keys will produce when pressed for any font. Select Wingdings from the drop down menu.

This info is unfortunately outdated, Keyboard Viewer has not had any font menu for a long time now and cannot be used for this purpose, Character Viewer has taken it over.

How to type symbols such as ⌘, ⌥ and ⏏ directly from keyboard?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.