Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mail.app "reply" behavior dumbed down in v6.2?

It seems like the new version of Mail no longer looks at which email address was your receiving address when setting up a reply message. It used to be that when I got email on Address #3, it would automatically reply with Address #3 - now, it replies with either whatever the top-most address is on my inbox list, or whatever I set as my default in Preferences.

I just wanted to verify that this is simply bad design on Apple's part, and not that I'm missing something that hasn't so far shown up on any other thread I could find about this.

Can anyone, preferably from Apple, verify this for me?

Why would Apple do this? It shows a shocking lack of understanding of how people actually use email in the 21st century. Why would I want all my instituional emails to default to replying with my private email, or vice-versa? Why should there be one automatic default for all my email? It makes no sense.

cheers,

j

MacBook Pro (15-inch 2.53 GHz), OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.2)

Posted on Feb 15, 2013 6:52 AM

3 replies

Feb 15, 2013 2:56 PM in response to jascha57

After upgrading from Mac OS X 10.6 to OS X 10.8.2 (and Mail.app version 6.2) recently, I had exactly the same problem.

If this is an oversight or bug, Apple should correct it soon I hope. I have 7 different "Reply-To" addresses and having to remember to set the From: address manually on every reply is a major inconvenience.

If this is a "feature change" on Apple's part -- very bad choice, very bad indeed. Please reverse it.

Feb 15, 2013 3:40 PM in response to Gilbert Osmond

I did some more searching in the forums.

In 10.6 & and 10.7 versions of Mail, when you hit "reply," it automatically chose the correct From: address, based on the To: field of the message you were replying to.

In 10.8, *for messages that have been processed by rules* (i.e. filtered automatically into local folders) this functionality is apparently broken. Looks like a BUG in the Mail.app v.6.2

See these very informative, exhaustive discussions:

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/4148125

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/4273912

Mail.app "reply" behavior dumbed down in v6.2?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.