Perform an SMC reset. Read all the steps.
Before Resetting the SMC
Try each of the following steps in this order before you reset the SMC. Test the issue after completing each troubleshooting step to determine if the issue still occurs.
- Press Command + Option + Escape to force quit any application that is not responding.
- Put your Mac to sleep by choosing the Apple () menu from the upper-left menu bar and then choosing Sleep. Wake the computer after it has gone to sleep.
- Restart your Mac by choosing the Apple () menu from the upper-left menu bar and then choosing Restart.
- Shut down your Mac by choosing the Apple () menu from the upper-left menu bar and then choosing Shut Down.
Resetting the SMC on portables with a battery you should not remove on your own
- Shut down the computer.
- Plug in the MagSafe power adapter to a power source, connecting it to the Mac if it's not already connected.
- On the built-in keyboard, press the (left side) Shift-Control-Option keys and the power button at the same time.
- Release all the keys and the power button at the same time.
- Press the power button to turn on the computer.