Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Backup from Mac to TC - tmutil

Hello there,

I am trying to backup my data from Macbook Air (mac os 10.8.2) to Time capsule AP over Wifi using command line:

sudo tmutil setdestination afp://[TimeCapsule_Username]:[TimeCapsule_Password]@[TimeCapsule_IP_Addr]/[Time Capsule_Disk_Partition]

sudo tmutil setdestination afp://sep:public@192.168.101.30/Data

sudo tmutil startbackup

Above two commands does not work. TimeMachine message says "Looking for backup disk..." forever.

Am I missing anything?

I appreciate your help in advance.

Thanks,
Ketan

MacBook Air, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.2)

Posted on Feb 15, 2013 12:22 PM

5 replies

Feb 15, 2013 12:37 PM in response to Guy01854

It's much easier to do via the Time Machine Preferences window -- just click Select Disk and select your Time Capsule's internal HD.

To do it via tmutil, you need to change the argument a bit: after "afp://" you need the literal word "user:" followed by the password.

And, while you can use the TC's address, you could just use the name.

After executing the command, do tmutil destinationinfo to see if it "took." Or look on the Preferences window.

Also note that if you want multiple destinations, you must use the -a option to add the destination instead of replacing it.

Here's an example, for a partition on a USB drive connected to my Time Capsule:

User uploaded file

If that's hard to see, control-click (right-click) the image and select Open link in new window.

Message was edited by: Pondini

Backup from Mac to TC - tmutil

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.