Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Canadian Selling on iBooks

I am trying to publish in the iBookstore. The application keeps asking for the US tax identification number. Is there a way to get around this such as a temporary setup. I have been working on this for two years - the IRS finally told me that they didn't process it as I paid a Canadian notory to get my passport notorized.

I am now reapplying as the rules changed. The IRS have informed me that if I get all the paper work right they might be able to issue the letter in as little as 65 days.

The next problem lies with the paperwork order. The IRS requires the application, the certified passport, and a letter from Apple saying they will be the one's addressing the tax collection. The problem is that you can't get the Apple account until you have the tax number and you can't get the tax number until you have the Apple account. The IRS sees nothing wrong with this logic!

Have I missed the point somewhere?

Please help.

Bill

OS X Mountain Lion (10.8), iBooks Store

Posted on Feb 15, 2013 12:36 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 15, 2013 12:48 PM

No, there is no workaround for supplying a tax ID.

>The IRS requires the application, the certified passport, and a letter from Apple saying they will be the one's addressing the tax collection.

If you believe that's the process, you've fallen in with the wrong advice. See this FAQ.

You will need an EIN from the IRS/US Govt., which you can obtain over the phone. If you attempt to publish as a company with Apple (versus Individual), you will be expected to show proof to Apple. Scan the relevant documents and send to Apple per their instructions.

Your summation of a closed logic loop ignores the fact that countless developers and authors from dozens of countries have completed the process as it exists.

Good luck.

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 15, 2013 12:48 PM in response to Bill_2000

No, there is no workaround for supplying a tax ID.

>The IRS requires the application, the certified passport, and a letter from Apple saying they will be the one's addressing the tax collection.

If you believe that's the process, you've fallen in with the wrong advice. See this FAQ.

You will need an EIN from the IRS/US Govt., which you can obtain over the phone. If you attempt to publish as a company with Apple (versus Individual), you will be expected to show proof to Apple. Scan the relevant documents and send to Apple per their instructions.

Your summation of a closed logic loop ignores the fact that countless developers and authors from dozens of countries have completed the process as it exists.

Good luck.

Canadian Selling on iBooks

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.