Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Replacing Xserve - need advise

Hi guys,

I'm in the process of replacing a 5 years old xserve running 10.5. The reason can't upgrade OS and I need/want/prefer to have an enviroment where clients and servers are sharing the same OS.

The system right now is running 3 drives, one for the system and the other 2 are in a RAID configuration.

All the suggestions so far are to move to a Mac mini server (maybe 2) running of SDD drive for the OS and attach an external RAID solution via Thunderbolt?

What I'm looking is for at least 4TB RAID solution the budget will be max $2000. I have a couple of DROBO enclusures but I don't find them super reliable.

I was looking at the PROMISE solution but I've been reading here about a lot of disappointed customers.

Any suggestion for a reliable and fast solution? The drives are serving a production department with lots of photoshop workflow.

thanks

Posted on Feb 15, 2013 12:51 PM

2 replies

Feb 17, 2013 9:17 PM in response to Don Roedl

Hi Don,

the 2K budget is just for the RAID solution. there's about 20-25 clients on the newtwork and yes I'm using Open Directory but not users home directories. All files are shared in different Shared point based on the department.

I already have another mac mini server running a filemaker server.

The new mini should replace an xserve and a power mac server that acts as an OP replica.

Replacing Xserve - need advise

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.