Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

SSD in PPC G5 2.3 ghz

Just curious... Just recently purchased a newer 2.3 g5 and decided to pick up a Samsung 840 ssd. The PowerMac would only recognize the SSD on the slave bus even after the ssd had been initialized and formatted with a fresh os install.

Any Ideas??????????

G4, G5, MacBook, Mac OS X (10.5.6), Dual 500, dual MacPro, MacBook, RD, VMware, Intel Vista

Posted on Feb 15, 2013 3:11 PM

9 replies

Feb 16, 2013 3:51 AM in response to DwainC

Master/Slave don't really apply (not being "snarky", the terms don't apply to SATA bus/ controllers.

You have two independent bus to a single controller.

It could be the presence of the original drive or the remnants of the PRAM contents is that which is interfering.

Could it be a connection issue? Maybe the connector likes the old drive better....

To be clear about your issue, the SSD works in bay 2 but not in bay 1? And the original drive works in bay 1?

Is the SSD recognized when it is the only drive installed?

Does a PRAM reset "wake" the system into recognition?

Feb 16, 2013 10:55 AM in response to japamac

"

t could be the presence of the original drive or the remnants of the PRAM contents is that which is interfering.

Could it be a connection issue? Maybe the connector likes the old drive better....

To be clear about your issue, the SSD works in bay 2 but not in bay 1? And the original drive works in bay 1?

Is the SSD recognized when it is the only drive installed?

Does a PRAM reset "wake" the system into recognition?"

Great questions!

1) I was remiss in resetting the pram after installing and formatting the ssd.

2) I am not sure about the connector. Ive put other drives on that bus with success.

3) SSD works in bay 2 only. HDD works in both bays with no issues!

When SSD is only drive connected to the bus... It is still not recognized and yes it has APM

4) I havent explored the pram option however I will remedy that soon and report back my findings.

5) Thank You for responding!

Feb 16, 2013 5:19 PM in response to DwainC

Well, it may simply be that the SATA controller doesn't treat the two bus as the same (one would think it should). The only difference should be the IO identifier assigned to connected devices.

We do know that the G5 SATA controller is "based" on the SATA rev 1 standard (SATA 1.5 Gbps).

I say "based" rather than "fully conforms" because it doesn't.

This is likely the reason that the many reports of drives not being seen, incompatible, etc., occur with the G5; more "loose" application of the SATA standard rather than "strict" adherence to.

After all, SATA was in it's infancy and, well, we all know that Apple has a thing about other peoples standards; they like to tweak things their own way.

Anyhow, can you set the SSD as the desired startup/boot volume in System Preferences, restart and have the system boot to the SSD?

If so, then the only issue is drive location, and that's really only a geographic issue of a couple of centimeters. 😉

Feb 16, 2013 7:20 PM in response to japamac

yeah its that darn geography! 😁 The SSD boots just fine as the startup. It was just annoying the crap out of me as to why I couldnt figure out why it wouldnt mount on the master bus. It could just be the SSD drive itself. I've had a mixed relationship with Samsung products. If I can find a 250gb SSd reasonably priced one day, I might just splurge just to figure out if it is a Samsung or bus issue. Cheers Mate!

Btw, Thanks for responding Aqua. This is going to be filed under the Apple "X-Files" maybe I can get Mulder to take a look at it.

SSD in PPC G5 2.3 ghz

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.