Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Location-aware content in books?

Is it possible to have book content that appears only if the user is in a certain location?

(Can it be done via a widget?)

Thanks.

MacBook Air, Mac OS X (10.7.2), 2nd-gen 13"

Posted on Feb 15, 2013 4:25 PM

8 replies

Feb 15, 2013 4:42 PM in response to K T

Easily? I've been an iPhone developer for five years (and a software developer for twenty before that), and I think it would take several months of work just to get to the point where iBooks Author gets me in an hour. (Embeddable media content, landscape/portrait orientation, navigation, user highlighting, etc. Not to mention the fact that iBooks Author will continue to get better, and it won't cost me a thing.)

Though the iBook experience certainly can be replicated in an app, I don't think it's that easy.

Feb 15, 2013 4:46 PM in response to GregM

If you thought I said making an app is easy, you're reading a different thread.

What do you want from me? Making an app assumes certain skills. No matter how easy iBA may be, that price of admisssion means you can't touch what an app can....witness location-aware as a feature.

Feb 15, 2013 4:59 PM in response to K T

>If you thought I said making an app is easy, you're reading a different thread.

In your previous post you said: "iBA's functionality can be easily be replicated _and_ exceeded by an app". So you did say "easily".

>What do you want from me?

I just asked if location-awareness was possible in an iBook. (Since web pages can be location-aware, it doesn't strike me as impossible that an iBooks widget could be location-aware as well.)

If it's not possible, then a simple "it's not possible" would be fine.

Mar 26, 2013 3:48 PM in response to GregM

Location awareness in ePub has been amply demonstrated by Liza Daley (see: http://blog.threepress.org/2010/06/08/geo-aware-ebook-demo/). As you'll note from downloading the source code, this is a relatively simple matter of applying well known web techniques. Unlike ePub, the innards of the *.ibooks format are not documented. However, there are HTML Widgets and I think that might be the path of least resistance if what you have in mind can be handled w/i the confines of a widget.

Location-aware content in books?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.