Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPad 2 charger

I have ipods, iPhone 3GS, and now just bought an iPad2. I'm confused about charges. I know the chargers for the iPhones/iPods won't work for my new iPad, but is the iPad2's charger backwards compatible? Can I use it to charge the others?

MacBook Pro (15-inch Mid 2010), Mac OS X (10.6.8), 15" 2.66 GHz Intel Core i7 4GB AG

Posted on Feb 15, 2013 5:05 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 15, 2013 5:12 PM

I'm pretty sure all apple iDevice chargers are the same except for the new iPad with retena display and the iPhone 5, which have a lightning adapter or something.

Hope this helps

3 replies

Feb 15, 2013 5:29 PM in response to powerbook1701

You can use the same power cube that came with your iPhone to charge your ipad2. It will just take longer to charge.

Both of those devices run on 5 volts. The iPhone cube delivers 5 volts at 5 watts=1 Amp per hour

The IPad 2 cube runs at 5 volts at 10 watts=2amps Per hour.

What is crucial with this info is that you only need to make sure that the VOLTAGE of the power cube is the same as the voltage of the device. When they are, and these are, then wattage just becomes a function of how long it takes to fully charge the iPhones smaller but same voltage battery then the IPad 2 battery voltage. The IPhone has a battery sized at around 1600 Mah, I am approximating, and I know the IPad 2 has a battery around 5200Mah. Both of them are 5 volts.

Well the IPhone 4, 4s, and 5 are all five volts, as are the IPad, IPad 2, IPad 3, etc... All of the android smart phones and tablets are also five volts. It is an industry standard. Just check the small print on your iPhone power cube it will tell you the output voltage if you wanna make sure. It should be in range of 4.5-5volts. So that's cool to use on your IPad.

Try leaving it on the iPhone charger overnight for a full 100% charge. If you want verification just go to apples home page and click on each of your devices specifications tabs. You will see the voltages are the same. That is what really matters.

iPad 2 charger

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.