Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPad won't transfer some movies to iTunes

2 movies (hustle & flow / the dark knight) were purchased either on my iPad or iTunes (i can't remember where) but now they currently live on my iPad. Each time I plug my iPad into my computer to sync, I get an error message telling me that these movies can't be synced to my iTunes as they can't be found. However, I can watch them in full on my iPad. I've even deleted and downloaded from the iTunes store and they still won't sync to iTunes. Newer movies that I've purchased have no problems whatsoever. I'd like to ensure that I have a backup of these just in case as movies are pricy and I could seriously watch hustle & flow or the dark knight for the rest of my days and be happy (no, I am not willing to test this, but let's just say I can quote Friday word to word, minute to minute 🙂 ). Any help is very much appreciated cause it's hard out here for a pimp when you're trying to make the money for the rent.

Posted on Feb 15, 2013 6:57 PM

13 replies

Feb 15, 2013 7:12 PM in response to rndmctzn

I agree. I have read many support articles that all say that you Cannot transfer any movies you downloaded from ITunes out of your IPad 1-4. Just like Demo said, that's all you have to do. There is nothing "wrong" with your IPad.

You can't transfer movies out of any IPad. Not possible. I don't know the programming reasons, but that's the way they are.

Feb 16, 2013 10:04 AM in response to rndmctzn

I didn't respond to this yesterday but absolutely yes .... you can transfer movies from the iPad to your computer - as long as they are movies that were purchased in iTunes. Rental movies on the iPad will not transfer over to any other device.

It almost sounds like there is some weird authorization issue going on between iTunes on your computer and the Apple ID on your iPad. You are signed into the same account in iTunes as you are on the iPad and that is the same Apple ID that you bought the movies with!?

Feb 16, 2013 1:24 PM in response to Demo

Yes. Same apple ID I have used for at least 8 years now. I reached out to a fellow apple developer and he thinks it could be an issue with an iTunes Library hidden file(s). He believes the error is telling me that it isn't an issue with the file being available on my iPad as I can view both in their entirety on my device and over Apple TV, but rather an issue where the hidden library file is looking to match and coming up empty handed. We both seem to agree that likely this is a very easy fix some where along the line. Likely, I've manipulated something that is causing the failed sync.

Feb 18, 2013 4:38 PM in response to Demo

You know what they say about assuming 🙂

I reached out to Apple Support and of course, they have no idea as well... I tried to check some of the logs in activity monitor and nothing is jumping out, as iTunes is doing what it's supposed to do. Demo, I do think you solved it as it seems to have everything to do with authorization. Movies that I have purchased with this version of iTunes (11.0.1) display the iCloud download icon within my library. Any movie that wasn't purchased with this version aren't enabled to be downloaded.

I really appreciate everyone's help and at least Bandit7 got their issue solved, so not all bad. Cheers!

Apr 7, 2013 3:37 PM in response to rndmctzn

I don't suppose any of you know if this issue has been resolved do you?

I bought a film through iTunes and downloaded it directly to my iPad2, but when I came to sync my iPad to my MacAir just a few weeks later, the film appears in my library, but says it cannot be downloaded as it cannot be located. I have gone into the iTunes Store and looked at my purchased items, and the film appears there but I cannot download the film again because it says it has already been downloaded. I haven't authorised any iTunes updates on either my iPad or my MacAir since the film was downloaded.

Any ideas would be gratefully received!

Thanks!

iPad won't transfer some movies to iTunes

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.