Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to use Final Cut pro with external hard drive?

I have too little space on my computer so I have to use final cut pro x with an external hard drive, but whenever I have the hard drive plugged in and Final cut going, my computer goes very slow. I just upgraded to 16gb ram... but can't seem to run FCP x while an external hard drive is plugged in. FCP just freezes up and I have to force quit.

Posted on Feb 15, 2013 9:22 PM

10 replies

Feb 15, 2013 9:38 PM in response to craigbuckley

craigbuckley wrote:

… whenever I have the hard drive plugged in and Final cut going, my computer goes very slow.…

how connected?

how formatted?

is it already indexed by Spotlight?

I'm with furrytoes:

extHDD is best practice and should speed-UP your setup

btw and completely off-topic:

furrytoes - shouldn't be New Zealand your natural habitat? 😉

Feb 16, 2013 8:58 AM in response to craigbuckley

I have it connected through USB and i did format it before I started using it.

The main problem is that I have everything backed up on my hard drive but then all the files and events in final cut are still on my internal, so my internal drive is still full.... Do I have to go and delete everything off my internal? I guess I just don't understand the whole process

Feb 16, 2013 11:06 AM in response to craigbuckley

craigbuckley wrote:

all the files and events in final cut are still on my internal, so my internal drive is still full.... Do I have to go and delete everything off my internal?

In addition to the excellent advice to keep your media on an external HDD, you need to make sure that your system (boot) drive has a decent amount of free space if you want to have a satisfactory editing experience. Many people recommend not going below 20% free space. That's especially so for the boot drive, but as you fill up the external, its performance will also slow. Ideally, we would have separate media and backup drives,

You don't need to "delete everything". Rather, you first figure out what needs to be moved. You copy those files to the other drive and then verify that all the files you copied are in two locations. At that point you can delete those files from your boot drive.

Good luck.

Russ

May 19, 2014 6:01 AM in response to Russ H

So I have all my source media footage in an external now, freeing up 500 gigs if free editing space on my boot drive. But dragging over that media to fcp just enforces my boot drive again once editing begins.

I'm trying to edit 4hrs of 1080/60 go pro footage into 1 hour. 5 failed attempts have make a weeks worth of work worthless. I just don't know what to do next? If I get a terabyte of external, is there a way to make final cut do all it's work using an external? Or do I need to beef up my boot drive? I already have the 750 g... Don't think I can go bigger than a 1t... I just need to know my next step.

How to use Final Cut pro with external hard drive?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.