Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mac Mini 5,1 Mt Lion 10.8.2 Keyboard/mouse freeze at log-on?

Good day.

During start-up at the end of the gray screen, the Apple Icon veers about 3 inches and 30 degrees down to the right.

When the log in screen appears, the keyboard and mouse are unresponsive... stymied. If I use safe mode everything works. This has been an issue for about four days. I mostly download .pdf and .html files from journals and the NY Times. Occassionally one of the sources prompts me to update some Adobe software which I allow, but otherwise I have no clue. My access is via household WIFI and the phone company is the internet provider. I live on an island with no nearby neighbors so security does not seem to be an issue.

What are the likely causes? What needs to be corrected?

I have a Time Machine backup dated 31 Jan 2013 but no experience using back-ups... all these years and still a neophyte.

Any suggestions are appreciated.

Regards

olderstill

Mac mini (Mid 2011), OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.2)

Posted on Feb 15, 2013 10:17 PM

1 reply

Feb 15, 2013 11:10 PM in response to olderstill

I could be wrong, but that sounds like maybe a simple display resolution issue that might be easily fixed with a Pram & NVRAM reset.

see > About NVRAM and PRAM

1. Shut down the computer.

2. Locate the following keys on the keyboard: Command, Option, P, and R. You will need to hold these keys down simultaneously in step 4.

3. Turn on the computer.

4. Press and hold the Command-Option-P-R keys. You must press this key combination before the gray screen appears.

5. Hold the keys down until the computer restarts and you hear the startup sound for the second time.

6. Release the keys.

Likewise if your using a wireless keyboard and can not reset the PRAM and NVRAM, then you may need to use a USB keyboard.

Mac Mini 5,1 Mt Lion 10.8.2 Keyboard/mouse freeze at log-on?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.