Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Use Boot Camp drivers from DVD or download?

I have an iMac mid-2010. It came with Snow Leopard when I bought it. Now, I'd like to install Windows 7 64-bit on my iMac. Should I install the Boot Camp drivers from the DVDs that came with my computer, or download the drivers using the Boot Camp Assistant that I have now in Mountain Lion?

iMac, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.2), 3.2 GHz Intel Core i3, 16 GB RAM

Posted on Feb 15, 2013 10:01 PM

6 replies

Feb 15, 2013 10:05 PM in response to GaryKing

You can use the Boot Camp drivers that your Mac OS X DVD contains, but they are outdated.

As you are running OS X Mountain Lion, it's much better to download Boot Camp drivers from Boot Camp Assistant. To do it, just open Boot Camp Assistant, press "Continue" and tick the options to download Windows support software and install Windows 7. It will be downloaded and Boot Camp Assistant will ask you to burn it into a DVD or USB drive, so do it.

After doing that, Boot Camp Assistant will ask you for the space you want for Windows, so select it, insert the Windows installer DVD and your Mac will restart to start the installation.

If you need help to install Windows, print this file > http://manuals.info.apple.com/en_US/boot_camp_install-setup_10.7.pdf

You have to install Boot Camp drivers just after finishing the Windows installation

Feb 15, 2013 10:08 PM in response to GaryKing

You shouldn't do that because you are installing Boot Camp drivers twice when you can install it once with the latest available drivers.

Finally, install Boot Camp drivers directly from the download instead of the Mac OS X DVD. This will give you the most recent drivers for Windows, providing a better performance and compatibility with OS X

Use Boot Camp drivers from DVD or download?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.