Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

SMB Sessions taking a long time to disconnect

Hi,

We have an issue at work with SMB sessions being kept open for to long on Mac OS X machines.

The users connect to a Windows Storage Server 2008r2 via SMB using a mix of 10.7 and 10.8.

Using lsof | grep /Volumes/"smbshare" I can see what sessions are opened.

I have opened files using VLC and checked and then when VLC is closed the session is closed. The problem seems to lye when users are browsing folders, when a users clicks into a folder a session is opened (as it should) but when users go back/up a folder or close the window (not quitting Finder, just the window) the session is kept open.

This problem is meaning that an administrator is having to go onto the server and manually having to close the sessions for the mac users becuse other users are not able to make changes to that folder, e.g. change its name.

This is now becoming a big issue with the amount of times we are having to do this. Is there anyway we can change how long the session is kept open for or some other way to fix this?

I have used

"sysctl net.smb.fs"

To look at the settings and changed some of the values on a test machine but with little sucess. I am not entily sure what that file does and what all of the values are for but I thought it was worth a shot..

Hope someone can guide me in the right direction....

MacBook Pro (13-inch Early 2011), OS X Mountain Lion (10.8)

Posted on Feb 16, 2013 6:33 AM

7 replies

Feb 16, 2013 6:39 AM in response to Joshwright10

Then you need more (I forget what MS calls it) User access rights, Concurrent User access. Could be ACL.

You clearly do not have enough of those on the server. Windows system do the same thing. Once logged on to the server they do not Log Off unless manually doing so.

You should have one for each computer on your LAN that will be accessing the server. It is not a Mac or Windows problem. It is a Site licensing problem. Buy more licneses.

Feb 16, 2013 7:18 AM in response to Shootist007

We have plenty of concurrent users licenses.

This is not the issue, I can run these command and see that Finder is not closing the folder that I have previously opened. Windows users use the same server and they do not have a single problem. It is always the Mac users that have the Folders open meaning they cannot be renamed/moved.

Just to clarify I know what the issue is just need a fix so the mac computers automatically let go of there sessions once they have come out of a folder on the share.

May 14, 2013 6:21 AM in response to Joshwright10

Having the same issue. Windows Server 2008, Mac OS X clients. They are not able to rename or even save files when it was opened and closed before. When this is happening Server still showing old connections are active.

Did you try restarting Finder just to see if this solves the problem? At lease them we will know that it has something to do with Finder...

May 30, 2013 5:14 PM in response to pashtet13

I've been experiencing the exact same problem on my office's network.

Server: Windows Server 2008 R2

Clients: OS X 10.8.x, 10.7.x, Windows 7 x64

SMB shares are mounted on the Mac workstations, which are tied into the server's Active Directory. When a user navigates down a folder tree, then backs out of it (or even close all Finder windows), those subfolders have a tendency to get locked up by Finder. After a lot of troubleshooting and research online, I'm guessing it might be the preview engine that pops up in Finder's righthand pane?

Any attempts to rename, relocate, or delete the "locked" folder will fail and pop an Admin password prompt. Neither Local Admin nor Domain Admin credentials do anything to fix it.

When I run:

$ lsof | grep ProblemFoldername

or

$ lsof | grep ProblemFilename.ext

it shows that Finder is using the file/folder. Opt+Rightclick Finder > Relaunch will kill Finder and release the folder, and everything behaves again, at least until the user browses down the folder tree again.

I'm pretty sure my server's permissions are set up correctly, but I have a hard time believing companies larger than my small office live with this type of bug.

SMB Sessions taking a long time to disconnect

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.