Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Snow Leopard Support

I can't seem to find this documented anywhere.

Is there a cutoff date for Snow Leopard support (have to upgrade to Mountain Lion)?

I have two machines, one running Snow Leopard - MacBook (Snow Leopard), MacBook Pro (Mountain Lion)

Thanks in advance for the help!

MacBook, Mac OS X (10.6.8), Snow Leopard

Posted on Feb 16, 2013 9:23 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 16, 2013 9:25 AM

At the moment, Apple is still providing Java security updates to Mac OS X Snow Leopard, so it's still supported. However, I would expect that with the release of the next OS X version Mac OS X Snow Leopard will be discontinued.

My advice: if you are happy with Snow Leopard or you have PowerPC applications, keep Snow Leopard. If not, you should be ready to upgrade OS X soon or now, if you want, to OS X Mountain Lion

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 16, 2013 9:25 AM in response to DMerz

At the moment, Apple is still providing Java security updates to Mac OS X Snow Leopard, so it's still supported. However, I would expect that with the release of the next OS X version Mac OS X Snow Leopard will be discontinued.

My advice: if you are happy with Snow Leopard or you have PowerPC applications, keep Snow Leopard. If not, you should be ready to upgrade OS X soon or now, if you want, to OS X Mountain Lion

Feb 16, 2013 9:27 AM in response to DMerz

As of now Snow Leopard is needed to access the App Store in order to upgrade to Mountain Lion. Until that requirement is no longer needed Snow Leopard support will likely continue, but there will not be any updates from 10.6.8.

Apple does not publish cutoff dates for support. Even when support is stopped that does not force you to upgrade.

Snow Leopard Support

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.