Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iTunes movies captions stuck onscreen on 1Gen AppleTV

Just purchased Argo and the captions that are included in the movie (for example the country they're in at the time...) are staying on the screen well after the scene is over. I'm playing the movie on a 1st generation Apple TV and that's where the trouble occurs. I can drop out of playing the movie then resume and the captions go away.

It's a major annoyance though - this movie has a ton of captions.

I don't have closed captions turned on but that's the only setting I find related to this. Help!!

Apple TV

Posted on Feb 16, 2013 3:18 PM

2 replies

Mar 5, 2013 5:23 AM in response to AppleTVuser61

Hi there,

I too have had precisely the same problem with my Apple TV gen 1. Its happened to me on both Argo (rented around 2 March) and Taken 2 (rented around mid-February) but I haven't experienced it previously.

Both times, I have written to Apple customer care and they have refunded the movie which is appreciated.

However the fact that it has happened to both of us (I am using the UK iTunes store) and has happened on different movies, does make it seem to be more than what might otherwise have been written off as an isolated incident.

My one concern is that perhaps Apple have started encoding the captions in a new way which may be supported by newer devices but isn't compatible with the 1st Generation Apple TV. <<< This is only a thought I've had and I'm happy to be told otherwise.

Does anyone else have any insight into this?

iTunes movies captions stuck onscreen on 1Gen AppleTV

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.