Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Home Sharing 2pcs, 2 iPhone 5s and an iPad

Hello everyone!

I am really hoping someone can help me. My mom and I just got iPhone 5s and I would like to be able to share my iTunes music with her, but I am not sure how to set this up. I have reviewed many posts here, but they are all different depending on the devices and what each person would like to do. So I am adding my questions to the mix so that maybe someone has a similiar setup and can offer step-by-step instructions to make it work. We have 2 pcs on Windows XP, 2 iPhone 5s and I have an iPad. Does iTunes Home Sharing work on XP without using iCloud? Can sharing my iTunes music happen without sharing our contacts, calendar and email? Please let me know if this is not possible and I am wasting my time. This message is my last attempt to make this work. I have spent much time trying to make this work. 😕

Thank you for your time and energy!

Windows XP

Posted on Feb 16, 2013 4:37 PM

11 replies

Feb 16, 2013 4:41 PM in response to kmbrlygrn

Welcome to the Apple Community.

To begin with, I would like to try to explain Apple's confusing nomenclature in regard to iCloud.

Apple have called the whole cloud thing iCloud, there are a number of features under the iCloud umbrella, some of which require their own login. iTunes is one of these, another is what Apple have unfortunately also called iCloud too.

You can use the same Apple ID (account) to login to both iCloud and iTunes, but you don't need to and often users will login to each service using a different ID.

The part that you need to remember is that the services available when you log into iCloud are completely different and unrelated to those when you log in to iTunes. Your iCloud login enables mail, contacts, calendars, find my phone, Back to My Mac, Documents & Data sharing and photostream, it does not affect any of your iTunes services.

Feb 16, 2013 4:52 PM in response to Winston Churchill

Thank you, Winston! This does help, but I have given up on the cloud. I was having trouble with duplicate calendars and contacts and I did some research to fix these issues and discovered the problems were using iCloud with Windows XP. That is why I posted the original question about using Home Sharing without using the cloud. I plan to keep using XP and the calendar and contact issues are solved....I am syncing with cords.

Feb 16, 2013 6:30 PM in response to Winston Churchill

I am not sure what the difference is. She lives with us so her laptop and iPhone is on the same network as my laptop, iPhone and iPad. I have read so much on this topic I am afraid I am completely confused. I would like my mom to be able to listen to all the music I have, purchased through iTunes or from CDs. Would there be a way for her to have the music on her laptop and iPhone? Could she listen to music from my library on her iPhone when she is away from our home (not on our network)? Sorry if I am not clear. I appreciate your patience as trying to accomplish this on my own has left me confused and frustrated.

Feb 16, 2013 7:29 PM in response to kmbrlygrn

Just looked at iTunes Match....it looks like I would need to use iCloud so I don't think that is a good option. Besides, it seems like this should be able to work without having to pay for a service. I am sure I have setting incorrect for the reason Home Sharing is not working on her laptop. When I launched iTunes on her pc it shows I am logged in, but there is no music in the library. I think I read somewhere about the Windows Firewall settings, do you think this could be the issue? Something about the laptops not being able to 'see' each other on the network.

Home Sharing 2pcs, 2 iPhone 5s and an iPad

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.