6 Replies Latest reply: Feb 17, 2013 10:11 AM by iheartspankings
iheartspankings Level 1 (0 points)

I'm so frustrated that I'm ready to rip my hair out.

Some of my movies just wont play no matter what I do. I have about 50 movies in iTunes and I can get about 3 of them to stream to my TV via AppleTV. I have no idea why some movies wont play and some will? I've seen a lot of this problem online searching through forums, but haven't found a solution that has worked.

The movies play in iTunes just fine, but when I swith it to AppleTV via iTunes, or try to load them directly via AppleTV I get the "This content can't be loaded. Please try again later" error. It's constantly happening. All the movies show up in my library, they just wont load or play. What gives?

I have home sharing turned on and I just don't understand why one movie will play, but others never will.

Apple TV
  • Winston Churchill Level 10 (95,504 points)

Where did you get the movies from.

• iheartspankings Level 1 (0 points)

Some of them I loaded directly in to iTunes from DVDs. Some of them were 'acquired' via the interwebs. Some of the movies that have been 'acquired' play just fine and other don't. For example, I have Monster's Inc. that I loaded directly into iTunes from a DVD for my daughter. Sometimes it'll play, other times it wont.

Unfortunately, there is a good chance that the problem arises from the encoding you have used when converting your movies.

I've been using iSquint to convert avi to mp4. Should I have checked the H.264 box? Do you think that would fix it? But it still doesn't explain why, when a movie is loaded into iTunes via DVD that sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't?

You're awesome for answering and helping me. Thank you so much.

I'm afraid we can't answer questions about converting from DVD's. It's against the Terms of use for these forums.

In case it's any help at all, these are the specifications used by the Apple TV.

Video formats supported

• H.264 video up to 1080p, 30 frames per second, High or Main Profile level 4.0 or lower, Baseline profile level 3.0 or lower with AAC-LC audio up to 160 Kbps per channel, 48kHz, stereo audio in .m4v, .mp4, and .mov file formats
    • MPEG-4 video up to 2.5 Mbps, 640 by 480 pixels, 30 frames per second, Simple Profile with AAC-LC audio up to 160 Kbps, 48kHz, stereo audio in .m4v, .mp4, and .mov file formats
    • Motion JPEG (M-JPEG) up to 35 Mbps, 1280 by 720 pixels, 30 frames per second, audio in ulaw, PCM stereo audio in .avi file format

Audio formats supported

• HE-AAC (V1), AAC (16 to 320 Kbps), protected AAC (from iTunes Store), MP3 (16 to 320 Kbps), MP3 VBR, Audible (formats 2, 3, and 4), Apple Lossless, AIFF, and WAV; Dolby Digital 5.1 surround sound pass-through

Photo formats

• JPEG, GIF, TIFF.

I think that's everything I needed to know. Consider yourself a life saver, especially to the AppleTV I own! Thank you!!