Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Setting up Mail for IMAP through Gmail

Hi,

To sync mail on my desktop, laptop, and iPad, I've set it up to link them through Gmail using IMAP. (I chose not to use iCloud because it won't let me use my own domain name for the e-mail address...and this is my business mail.) Everything works fine; the In-Box and the half dozen folders I have for different projects all appear on my Mac and on Gmail, and syn perfectly.

But....

I now have 2 "Sent" folders in Mail, which each behaves somewhat differently, and 3 Trash folders, which also behave somewhat differently.

SENT FOLDERS

One Sent folder is in the top level, under Mailboxes. It appears to be purely local to the computer, and stores messages in the normal fashion. The second one is in the Gmail folder below it, and syncs with gmail. In that folder, all messages are shown as addressed to me. In the account preferences, under Mailbox Behaviors, I tried checking the box to "Store sent messages on the server." But all that did was to flag the top level Sent folder with an error message saying: "The Sent mailbox could not be created on the mail server. The local “Sent Messages (Gmail)” mailbox was created instead."

Is there any way to fix this so that I have only one Sent folder (and no error flag)? I don't need 2 copies of every sent message.

TRASH FOLDERS

The situation is similar for Trash, except that I have 3 folders. A the top level, Trash has two sub-folders one labeled "On my Mac," the other labeled "Gmail." I have not checked the box to "store deleted messages on the server." The third trash folder is in the Gmail folder below. For now, all the deleted messages seem to go into the "On my Mac" folder. But it's odd to have the other two trash folders.

I would be grateful for any suggestions.

(By the way, none of this is a problem on my iPad, where Mail has just one Sent folder and one Trash folder, and they both function just as expected.)

various, Mac OS X (10.3.9)

Posted on Feb 16, 2013 8:01 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 16, 2013 8:54 PM

About 45 minutes after posting my question, I found a web tutorial that addressed all these issues and explaind step-by-step how to fix them. The suggested settings worked perfectly and fixed all the issues.

I tried to delete my original posting here, but didn't see how to do that. So instead, here's the link to the tutorial ... in case anyone else is facing the same problems.

http://tidbits.com/article/10253

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 16, 2013 8:54 PM in response to kinggama

About 45 minutes after posting my question, I found a web tutorial that addressed all these issues and explaind step-by-step how to fix them. The suggested settings worked perfectly and fixed all the issues.

I tried to delete my original posting here, but didn't see how to do that. So instead, here's the link to the tutorial ... in case anyone else is facing the same problems.

http://tidbits.com/article/10253

Setting up Mail for IMAP through Gmail

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.