Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Time machine freezing after fresh re-install because of recovered corrupt files

Hi,

I have a Mid 2009 15" MBP running 10.8.2. Recently, my HDD crashed. And my time machine backup on an external HDD failed to mount (perhaps the backup was also corrupt?). I made an image using Disk Drill just in case and got a new HDD from Apple Support. They put in a new HDD and "recovered" my data. Now, the comp was behaving very very funny, freezing suddenly a few minutes after boot, requiring a hard shud-down and frequent kernel panics. So, I copied some of the important data in my Users folder and did a fresh install of ML on the new HDD. I also got a new external HDD and formatted it propoerly and copied back the files onto the fresh install of ML. At this point, I realised that there were certainly some files there that were corrupt(?) because, the copying back caused hanging a couple of times. Anyway, now the comp works just fine, but as soon as I begin a time machine backup, it completely freezes (just like before requiring a hard shut down), after less than a GB backing up. Please help me.

MacBook Pro (15-inch 2.53 GHz)

Posted on Feb 17, 2013 1:56 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 17, 2013 2:08 AM

Hate to tell you this but the 2009 model MBPs were built, assembled, with a very cheaply made HDD to Logic board cable and your original drive may be fine and the cable is the thing that is failing.

I suspect this because once a drive fails it is near impossible to get any useful data off it. So if Apple was able to copy your files from the old drive to the new one that drive is probably still OK. And that you are now still having problems with the brand new drive.

No the problems you are having can not be caused by just having corrupted files store on the drive. The only files that are accessed by the operating system, while booting and running the computer, are those operating system files and whatever programs you are running. even if a program access those corrupted files it would not cause problems with the OS but may crash the program that is opening them.

As for TM not working that again is a sign that the cable is bad because TM can't copy the files to its backup over that bad cable.

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 17, 2013 2:08 AM in response to prashanthns

Hate to tell you this but the 2009 model MBPs were built, assembled, with a very cheaply made HDD to Logic board cable and your original drive may be fine and the cable is the thing that is failing.

I suspect this because once a drive fails it is near impossible to get any useful data off it. So if Apple was able to copy your files from the old drive to the new one that drive is probably still OK. And that you are now still having problems with the brand new drive.

No the problems you are having can not be caused by just having corrupted files store on the drive. The only files that are accessed by the operating system, while booting and running the computer, are those operating system files and whatever programs you are running. even if a program access those corrupted files it would not cause problems with the OS but may crash the program that is opening them.

As for TM not working that again is a sign that the cable is bad because TM can't copy the files to its backup over that bad cable.

Feb 17, 2013 2:17 AM in response to Shootist007

Wow. Your explanation certainly seems to be accurate. Because, the sort of problems I am having now are very very similar to the ones that I had with my previous HDD. (1) For example, while copying large files from an external HDD to the MBP HDD, it randomly begins to freeze. (2) Even after fresh reinstall, time to boot continues to be very high (3) Unpredictable freezing while working in Mail.

I guess, I will just take it back to Apple Support (or perhaps call them tomorrow). I appreciate the time you have taken to explain this. One last thing if you have the time: do you think I can just tell them (at Apple service) that the cable might be at fault? Thanks again!

Feb 17, 2013 2:55 AM in response to prashanthns

Yes of course. When you take it back in explain to them that you are having very similar problems with the new drive as you had with the original and that you suspect, and have been advised, that it is more then likely the cable from the HDD to logic board that is bad and or failing. Ask them to change the cable to see if that corrects the problem and or Test the cable for failures.

There are many posts on this forum about the 2009 MBPs bad cables. Most of the time people have done what you did and replaced their hard drives to be greeted with the same problems. Once they changed the cable all the problems went away, even when using their original drives that they thought were bad.

Good Luck & Best Wishes.

Feb 18, 2013 3:30 AM in response to Shootist007

Dear Shootist007,

Your assessment of the problem was spot-on. Much appreciate your input in this! Today I went to Apple Service and they changed the cable as I waited (for free even! of course having charged me a bomb for that HDD and the labour cost for the same previously, I was not particularly thrilled, but anyway). I came back and starte it: boot time is half as before, time machine is already runnign half way, applications open faster, no spinning wheel of death yet! It was indeed the cable!

Feb 18, 2013 3:35 AM in response to prashanthns

Glad to hear it worked out and you now have it back up and running.

As there is no test for just the cable any problems with that will show as Hard Drive problems. I believe, but not sure, Apple knows full well of the faulty cables used in that year MBP. But as with Apple they keep that stuff private as to do otherwise would mean that Apple would have to admit they use cheap parts in their computers they charge an arm and a leg for.

Good Luck & Best Wishes.

Time machine freezing after fresh re-install because of recovered corrupt files

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.