Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I fix MS Office crashes on saving doc file (docx OK)?

I am running OX 10.8.2 and MS Office 2011. I know, the latter is my first mistake but I need it for work. I ran an updater for Office yesterday (before which it was running to its usual standards). Now I can save docx files fine but if I open a .doc file and try to save it the program freezes ('MS Word not responding'). I have deleted the plist file and all of the autorecovery files. I ran the latest OS firmware update today and checked for more MS updates. There are none available. Nothing has helped. Any suggestions are welcomed. I know that I can resave stuff as docx files as a temporary workaround but I need to send .doc files to some colleagues who have not updated. Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

MacBook Pro, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.2), 15 inch, early 2011, 2.3 GHz

Posted on Feb 17, 2013 5:50 AM

3 replies

Feb 17, 2013 9:12 AM in response to Jeff Skevington

If you are sure it's the update, then you can either report it to Microsoft via feedback option off Help in Word and wait for a fix or just uninstall the current version of MS Office you have and install the old version back (the one you have on the CD. However, be aware that when you do this, if you're using Outlook for your email, your main identity will be upgraded as part of that Service Pack install you did. When you install the old version back, you won't be able to run Outlook with that upgraded identity. The only way to fix this that I know of is to delete the Microsoft User Data folder in your Documents folder. However, when you do this, IT'LL ALSO DELETE YOUR EMAIL AND ACCOUNT PROFILE out of Outlook. If you must do this to fix your issue, then BEFORE YOU UNINSTALL OFFICE run an Export of your email and other info out of Outlook and save that so you can import it back after the reinstall.

How do I fix MS Office crashes on saving doc file (docx OK)?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.