Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MacBook Pro, black screen but the hard drive is still running

I can't remember the model of my Mac book pro but I bought it in 2011. Anyway I'd just logged on and went on iPhoto and then it completely froze, I could move the cursor on the screen but nothing else, I decided to press the power button then the screen went completely blank the keyboard was still lit and the hard drive is still running, After about 20 mins the keyboard light went off and now the keyboard seems inactive, there is a light down on the bottom right hand corner of my mac but nothing else.

I keep pressing the power button and waiting but nothing happens, it has 73% battery so it's not flat.

Does anyone know what it is or what I can do it would be greatly appreciated, I didn't buy it from the apple shop but will they still have a look at it?

Also my mac was fine but I installed mountain lion just after Christmas and it has become slower.

Thank you

MacBook Pro

Posted on Feb 17, 2013 6:14 AM

6 replies

Feb 17, 2013 7:12 AM in response to hol95

Open up About this Mac from the Apple menu, then click More Info. The Overview tab will tell you what model Macbook Pro it is.

If it is a Mid 2010 15" Macbook Pro, take a look at this article: http://support.apple.com/kb/TS4088

If that is what you see, take it into an Apple Certified Repair Center (or Apple Store) and have it checked. They have a diagnostic routine that will identify if that is the problem and replace the logic board for free.

Feb 17, 2013 9:01 AM in response to hol95

I keep pressing the power button and waiting but nothing happens, it has 73% battery so it's not flat.

Does anyone know what it is or what I can do it would be greatly appreciated, I didn't buy it from the apple shop but will they still have a look at it?

Press the power button and keep it pressed for 5 to 10 seconds, it will shut down. Then restart it normally, post back

MacBook Pro, black screen but the hard drive is still running

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.