Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My MacBook Pro (Early 2011) keeps freezing, the fan becomes extremely loud and the laptop gets very hot, what can I do?

Hi there,

I would be grateful if any one could help me. I purchased my MacBook Pro 13 Inch in August 2011, it was the "Early 2011" version, which was shipped with Lion (I have now upgraded it to Mountain Lion last year).

Up until a few weeks ago, it was running fine. But recently my MacBook keeps freezing (A circular rainbow appears on the cursor), slowing down, the fan gets very loud and I often have to restart the whole machine. This usually happens when I'm running programs such as Safari, Preview or Microsoft Word

I only use my MacBook for university work so I only have Microsoft Office and iWork installed, nothing else. I've only used 19gb out of the 320gb available. I've also reseted my MacBook to its factory settings but that hasn't fixed the problem.

I've checked my AppleCare status and it says:

Repairs and Service Coverage: Active

Your product is covered for eligible hardware repairs and service under a custom agreement.
For more information about your coverage, please contact us.
Estimated Expiration Date: 24 August 2014

I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions to how I can resolve these problems, as it is stopping me from doing my work?

Many thanks.

MacBook Pro, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.2)

Posted on Feb 17, 2013 6:42 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 17, 2013 7:16 AM

Call Apple and make a appointment, backup your use data off the machine to a external drive.

Don't bother with TimeMachine if it asks, too long and likley be corrupted and unable to restore, just drag and drop your Users folder to the external drive.

Most commonly used backup methods

1 reply

My MacBook Pro (Early 2011) keeps freezing, the fan becomes extremely loud and the laptop gets very hot, what can I do?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.