Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Problem slowing down Sony FS-700 slow motion video

Now that I've had to use third party software (another topic for another day) to get my slow motion footage onto my computer, I want to slow it down even further. I can shoot 120, 240, 480 or 960 fps on my camera and it lays it down to my card as 60fps video. Obviously, the image quality degrades each time a step up the frame rate while shooting slow motion. My thought is to thak my video shot at 240fps (recorded as 60fps) and place it on a 30fps timelined, thus doubling the slow motion effect, yet keeping the image quality higher and preserving each individual, uniqued frame of video. I've tried several different ways of doing this but I keep getting the same result. When I change the speed to 50% on the timeline, I get the frame blending effect (1 - 12 - 2 - 23 - 3 - 34.) When I turn the frame blending effect off, every other frame is duplicated. In other words, when I click through the video frame by frame, they play like so... 1 - 11 - 2 - 22 -3 - 33. That's a long way to go to say that I need help dropping 60fps video onto a 30fps timeline and preserving each and every complete frame. When I use it in my 30fps project, I will double the slow motion effect while maintaining the higher image quality of the lower setting. I've been editing on FCP for years and I'm sure I'm missing something really simple. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

iMac (27-inch Mid 2011), Mac OS X (10.7.3)

Posted on Feb 17, 2013 6:35 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 17, 2013 7:22 AM

If the cam output is 60p, convert it to ProRes first, then open up the file in Cinema Tools and conform it to 30p (or 24p).

When played on a 30p (29.97) timeline, the file will play at 1/2 the speed of the 60p original file with all frames intact.

Something to keep in mind - Cinema Tools changes the file you bring in (destructive edit) so don't do this on the original.

Best,

x

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 17, 2013 7:22 AM in response to FriendlyDan

If the cam output is 60p, convert it to ProRes first, then open up the file in Cinema Tools and conform it to 30p (or 24p).

When played on a 30p (29.97) timeline, the file will play at 1/2 the speed of the 60p original file with all frames intact.

Something to keep in mind - Cinema Tools changes the file you bring in (destructive edit) so don't do this on the original.

Best,

x

Feb 17, 2013 8:21 AM in response to FriendlyDan

If you want "one tool tries to do everything" video editing software, you may want to head over to Final Cut X.

Personally, I don't mind the modular tool box approach to the software. I suppose it follows from the way that I thought about audio equipment as a teenager - buy the best bits I could afford and only upgrade when necessary.

Cheers,

x

Problem slowing down Sony FS-700 slow motion video

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.