Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

apple tv disconnects from wifi

My apple TV periodically disconnects from my wifi network forcing me to restart it. I have tried resetting all settings. I have tried restoring, but it won't stay connected to wifi long enough to allow it to restore.

Time Capsule 802.11n (4th Gen)

Posted on Feb 17, 2013 7:10 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 17, 2013 7:20 AM

Intermittent problems are often a result of interference. Interference can be caused by other networks in the neighbourhood or from household electrical items.

You can download and install iStumbler (NetStumbler for windows users) to help you see which channels are used by neighbouring networks so that you can avoid them, but iStumbler will not see household items.

Refer to your router manual for instructions on changing your wifi channel or adjusting your multicast rate.

There are other types of problems that can affect networks, but this is by far the most common, hence worth mentioning first. Networks that have inherent issues can be seen to work differently with different versions of the same software. You might also try moving the Apple TV away from other electrical equipment.

9 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 17, 2013 7:20 AM in response to Schrodini

Intermittent problems are often a result of interference. Interference can be caused by other networks in the neighbourhood or from household electrical items.

You can download and install iStumbler (NetStumbler for windows users) to help you see which channels are used by neighbouring networks so that you can avoid them, but iStumbler will not see household items.

Refer to your router manual for instructions on changing your wifi channel or adjusting your multicast rate.

There are other types of problems that can affect networks, but this is by far the most common, hence worth mentioning first. Networks that have inherent issues can be seen to work differently with different versions of the same software. You might also try moving the Apple TV away from other electrical equipment.

Feb 18, 2013 2:45 PM in response to Winston Churchill

At first this seemed to work, but the problem is still occuring. I have moved my apple tv as far from my other electronics as possible and I have moved my cordless phones as far from the apple tv and time capsule as possible. There are no other networks using the same channels as my router.

When watching Netflix I get disconnected from the wifi network. When I try to reconnect, no networks show up in the list when there are usually at least 4 or 5 within range. None of my other devices seem to be losing connection to the network, so I think the problem is with apple tv, but I am not sure how I can confirm this.

Mar 30, 2014 5:30 PM in response to calvinfromcolumbia

Same problem with me too. My apple tv worked perfect for about a month and last week sometime it suddenly started exiting from Netflix and completely disconnecting from wifi. It happened very occasionally at first but now if I get two minutes of connection I'm lucky. Then, I wait a few minutes and it re-connects only to do the same thing minutes later.

I tried to restore as well but it wouldn't stay connected long enough.

I tried moving the apple tv away from my home theater system which was the only thing I could think of nearby that might cause interference, but that didn't work either. Not too surprising as my Wii has no problems with loosing connection and it was right beside the Apple Tv when the problems started.

All other wifi devices I use work perfect and when the Apple TV is actually connecting to my wifi, it shows a solid 5 bars.

Best I can tell is this is a problem with the Apple TV and not my wifi. And as mentioned in an earlier post, it is enough to drive a guy crazy with how irritating it is.

I plan to try and get it exchanged for one that works but my local Apple reseller isn't set up to do warranty exchanges so I will be taking it into an Apple store in a nearby city and try there. Hoping I didn't flush my money away buying this thing!

Sep 1, 2015 3:52 PM in response to gbrad22

Did that continue to work for you? I'm having this problem now myself and I'm at my wits end. Having to restart my programs 3 or 4 times during the 1 program. It's making me nuts! And I know it's not my wi-fi. I tried everything else (accept for moving it away from my tv and dvd player. I don't see how that would help based on what I read here. Please let me know... If it really worked for you, I'll give it a shot!

thanks

Sep 1, 2015 9:44 PM in response to leewyman1

Doing the network test on the device does not account for any issues, and the fact other devices are working doesn't rule out a network issue. You need to see a current status of your network by getting a network report from istumbler, netstumbler or similar. This will show accurate signal strength along with noise and nearby networks. Using Ethernet will also help see if there are WiFi issues. You are also free to test on another network.

apple tv disconnects from wifi

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.