Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Retina Macbook Pro Fan Randomly Turns On With No Background Processes

User uploaded file

As you can see, practically nothing is running. I bough the basw 15" RMBP 4 days ago from B&H. Do you guys think this is normal? Anyone else has this? So far, I have not seen anything else wrong aside from this.

The RMP here is ~5500 with nothing in the background. The fan runs like this for about a minute and it happens at random.

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.2)

Posted on Feb 17, 2013 8:00 AM

9 replies

Feb 23, 2013 6:02 AM in response to jpad1208

Hey bud, I think I may have figured out the problem. I was having this issue too. Check and see if it correlates with when you are playing music. Then pick the song that is playing it and right click it and check the bitrate. Bitrates that are up >1000kbps are going to use a ton of activity on your hard drive and in a SSD they produce heat when used which is why the fans jump up to help get rid of it. Anything else that makes the super fast SSD use a lot of activity will also generate heat so check other options as well or use activity monitor to see if your hard disk activity is indeed high when the fan speeds get higher.

Feb 23, 2013 6:21 AM in response to Shootist007

You can get the > 1000Kbps in things like .aif files or many many others, also files you download from soundcloud. These are typically files you have generated in logic pro, maybe even garageband (not sure about garageband, I use logic). I do music editing so I have plenty of files above 320. Sorry to hear your problem wasn't as simple as mine. (Since it turned out not to be a defect in the sytem or the temperature sensors). Hope it all works out.

User uploaded file

Retina Macbook Pro Fan Randomly Turns On With No Background Processes

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.