Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

IRQL not less or equal issue, WIN7 will not load

Hello,

I've seen questions posted about this issue but found no real answer that matches the issue I've been having. I've installed Windows 7 on my mid 2010 iMac and used it many times but have gone about 4 months or so without switching over and doing anything on it. Yesterday I attempted to load Windows 7 via the startup disk reboot in the systems preferences and by the normal option key switch at startup. Both ways result in the same issue. I'll see the loading Windows screen and then see a cursor on a black screen then it goes to the blue screen of death and I get the IRQL not less or equal error and it restarts. Tried several times and i am not able to boot into Windows at all and it shows the same error.

I then tried unplugging everything from the iMac/USB hub that I don't need (just leaving the mouse and keyboard) and tried both ways again of booting and still have the same issue. I've seen that some had this issue due to the wireless keyboard but I'm running a wired Microsoft ergonomic keyboard and wired razer death adder mouse (both have worked fine with Windows 7 in the past). I have also attempted to hold F8 and boot Windows in safe mode a few times and each time it froze on the Windows loading screen.

I recently upgraded the RAM to 12 GB altogether and ran a ram check and it all came out fine (and have no issues when in mac os x). All software, including OS X, is up to date. Any idea what the issue is and how I can get it to boot into Windows without having to reinstall (at least long enough to backup my files)?

iMac (21.5-inch Mid 2010), OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.2)

Posted on Feb 17, 2013 8:46 AM

1 reply

Feb 17, 2013 8:54 AM in response to bcovey

Forgot to mention that it is Windows 7 Home 64bit that I am running. iMac is a 3.2 GHz Intel Core i3 processor with 12 GB of ram. The iMac orginally had 2, 2 GB of RAM sticks and I added 2 more 4 GB sticks of the same memory type (1067 MHz DDR3).

Windows 7 ran fine on the 4 GB before but this is the first time I have ran it with the 12 GB in there but like I said there doesn't seem to be any issue with the memory as I ran several tests using memtest in OS X.

IRQL not less or equal issue, WIN7 will not load

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.