Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Has the new Early 2013 Retina Macbook Pro still lag and display issues?

Hello. I've never had a Mac before and I'm thinking of buying the new "early 2013" 15-inch (2.7 Ghz, 16Gb Ram, $2799) Retina Macbook Pro. I live in Argentina but I'm going to NYC in a couple of weeks and I want to get one there. The thing is, that I can not be returning it 2 or 3 times like I read a lot of peple had to, because I'll be coming back home after 2 weeks and here they will only fix it, not replace it for a new one, and that could take months.

So, I want to know if you guys can help me decide if I should go for it or not, if these image retention and burn in and ui lag issues appear to be fixed with this new model or if it is still the same. If I don't buy this one I'll be getting the new Samsung Series 7 Chronos they showed in CES 2013, still not available in the market. Thanks a lot!

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.2)

Posted on Feb 17, 2013 12:01 PM

14 replies

Feb 17, 2013 12:07 PM in response to huevo_gnr

The hardware has not change, much if at all except the CPU speed, from the originally released version. Also there are reports for some of the most recent released ones having a fan problem where the fans speed up for no reason. Supposedly it is a bad sensor on the logic board.

So save your money and wait for the next Full Update of the Retina screened models.

Feb 17, 2013 9:31 PM in response to huevo_gnr

Thank you guys for the answer. Still not sure about what to do. I think I'll have to try both laptops at the stores and then decide if I take a leap of faith or not! Although discussing the need of faith or luck to get a perfectly working computer at the first time, when we are talking about probably the most expensive laptop in the market, I find it unbelievable ...

But at the same time got me thinking, how incredible has to be Mac marketing, or perhaps this sort of mystic produced by the loyalty they generate in their customers (every mac user I know love its computer), that I'm actually considering to pay 800 dollars more for a computer that reports faults. But I really want it and I'm not a mac fanboy, I don't even have ever own one!

I tell you all this because I want you to give me your opinion... knowing that I want to get the best sistem (hardware+software) available, does it worth it? (the rMBP) Will I really be getting not only the best hardware, but also enjoy more the use of the computer? Or it is just great marketing and stupid people??

Feb 18, 2013 5:18 AM in response to huevo_gnr

Well, I am a low income person who scraped together the money to get a retina macbook 15", and am really glad I made the purchase. I have had no screen problems, or overheating problems, though using fcpx for long video gets it a little warm.

If you are into photography, I can tell you that nothing, absolutely nothing, works like a retina display for your photos. I walk around and take simple photos and put them up as desktop photos and am in awe of what this computer can do.

Just my take, I bought one and love it. Don't forget, if you go to an emergency room, you might come away thinking the human body is terribly defective. This discussion place is sort of an emergency room. The great majority of people who buy these Macs are finding them a great addition to their lives. Retina is like high def tv, once you see one you just can't go back to standard def.

Hugh

Feb 20, 2013 6:52 PM in response to huevo_gnr

Well, I got my new rMBP delivered this Monday, and on Tuesday I brought it back to the apple store for replacement. The major issue with it was that on low brightness settings (which I usually work with) the screen appeared to be changing either brightness or gamma, I couldn't tell which it was, every 2 seconds. Besides that - I noticed some very minor image retention. Hopefully the replacement will be better.

Apr 19, 2013 8:23 AM in response to huevo_gnr

huevo_gnr I recieved mine two days ago and it has the LG display, so far there is no sign of IR, I´ve tested it with a chessboard image on the desktop for about 15 minutes and then switched to a white, grey and finally a black image and nothing, it works great!

I´m also from argentina and was quite worried to recieve a rMBP with the LG display, and as "Murphy" is always present, I hit the jackpot! hahaha, but I inmediatelly started testing it and it works great!

Hope I´m not wrong, but maybe some LG´s display were badly manufactured...

Apr 19, 2013 11:59 AM in response to huevo_gnr

huevo_gnr wrote:

...So, I want to know if you guys can help me decide if I should go for it or not, if these image retention and burn in and ui lag issues appear to be fixed with this new model or if it is still the same...

I've also just gotten the same rMBP that you want and gave it the chessboard image test that juremagic did multiple times without any image retention at all. I think the fix is that the problematic LG displays are model SJA1. The display in mine is SJA2 and other posts in the Communities suggest that the newer model fixes the problem. Which display you have can be determined by entering the following in Terminal:

ioreg -lw0 | grep \"EDID\" | sed "/[^<]*</s///" | xxd -p -r | strings -6

An LSN code means it's a Samsung and an LP code is an LG.

Apr 20, 2013 9:27 AM in response to FatMac-MacPro

I just checked and I have the LG SJA2, too. I didn't notice any Image retention at first, I tested it with the chessboard test for 5 or 6 minutes, it showed no IR. But with 10 minutes I can see a bit of IR. Nothing that can affect the normal use of the computer, I mean I have to put the chessboard for 10 minutes and then change to grey to notice it, but it does exist and is the SJA2 from LG. If it doesn't get worst, I think it doesn't even matter. I just hope it doesn't get worst.

Apr 20, 2013 9:56 AM in response to huevo_gnr

huevo_gnr wrote:

I just checked and I have the LG SJA2, too. I didn't notice any Image retention at first, I tested it with the chessboard test for 5 or 6 minutes, it showed no IR. But with 10 minutes I can see a bit of IR. Nothing that can affect the normal use of the computer, I mean I have to put the chessboard for 10 minutes and then change to grey to notice it, but it does exist and is the SJA2 from LG. If it doesn't get worst, I think it doesn't even matter. I just hope it doesn't get worst.

FWIW, I noticed that until I stopped looking at the chessboard before it switched; my eyes had image retention😕. But in that awfully long thread on the subject, some have insisted that if it's an LG, it's trouble so I guess there's no guarantee. (BTW, I was writing this when you tried the test again - ocular image retention?)

Not to hijack the thread, but shortly after I posted that "good news" about SJA2, my rMBP simply refused to start at all; it was totally inert. Charging, not charging, SMC reset, nothing helped. Tech support's only solution was bring it in to be fixed.

On a hunch, and remembering something about magnets in the top of the display activating a reed switch in the base, probably near the trackpad, I lifted the front of the Mac about 1/4" inch and let it drop. Bingo! The Mac has operated properly so far. I suspect the reed switch was stuck in the wrong position, and some evidence suggests it was that way out of the box and my fix corrected it.

Has the new Early 2013 Retina Macbook Pro still lag and display issues?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.