Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

macbook pro retina repairable/replaceable parts ?

Hello,

I have to replace 10 laptops for my company have to choose between classic or the new retina's macbookpro.

On one hand i like this new retina concept but i have to consider the worst case scenario.

What if a memory module or hard drive ssd module go wrong ? Or a simple fan inside the case ?

What exact parts can be replaced inside this laptop ?

If something goes wrong on this all-in-one motherboard, what is the price to replace it ?

Thank you.

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.2)

Posted on Feb 17, 2013 12:55 PM

2 replies

Feb 17, 2013 12:59 PM in response to H-Works

On a MacBook Pro with Retina display, everything is soldered onto the logic board except the flash storage. As a lot of parts are soldered, a logic board replace is very expensive, but we don't know the price exactly.

If you want to avoid problems, get AppleCare for each MacBook Pro, so repairs will be free during the first 4 years of your computer.

Although AppleCare is highly recommended, if you think you will have to replace parts of your MacBook Pro (remember that with a non-Retina MacBook Pro, you can replace the memory and the hard drive without voiding the warranty), buy a non-Retina MacBook Pro, cheaper and with replaceable parts

Feb 17, 2013 1:02 PM in response to H-Works

Firstly, you cannot replace or service anything inside the computer except RAM and maybe the hard drive unless it comes with a permanent configuration that is not user serviceable. If you attempt to open the computers to service parts, then any warranty you have is voided and Apple will refuse to service the computer even out of warranty.

As for parts costs for new computers we'd not have that information as such parts are not legally sold or available on the open market, and Apple will not sell them to you.

macbook pro retina repairable/replaceable parts ?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.