Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iMessage not syncing messages from iDevices

Hello everyone!

I'm currently trying to figure out a problem I am having with iMessages. The problem is mainly on my MacBook, but sometimes has problems on my iPhone 4S as well. Often times on my MacBook the message will that were sent on my iPhone 4S will not be fully synced with the iMessages app on my MacBook. Furthermore, I've noticed that sometimes the messages are synced but are not in the correct order. I've made sure that the messages were being sent as iMessages, so that error has been eliminated. I'm wondering if anyone else has had this problem and knows a fix?

If the goal is to have these apps working seamlessly between iDevices, this certainly isn't acheiving that goal. I appreciate any help you may have for me!

MacBook (13-inch Mid 2010), Mac OS X (10.7.3)

Posted on Feb 17, 2013 1:45 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 17, 2013 1:54 PM

Hi,

It is somewhat of a "Known Issue".

If the Mac is Off or more importantly Messages is shut down and a conversation happens on the iPhone and then Messages on the Mac is started the sync process kicks in.

It seems this Sync is not instant and the iMessages being synced play out like a speeded up chat.

Any new iMessages from your Contact DO arrive instantly and then get placed out of order.

Although I have not been able to confirm some people report the Mac version will be placed in the right order if the sycn finishes and then Messages is restarted.

As most iPhones are On all the time it seems there are few reports of it happening in the other direction as it were.

However there may be cases where people have to put their iPhone is Airplane Mode or similar that mean it will need to sync when back on line for iMessages.

At present apart from the "turn Messages Off and turn Message on Again" there seems to be no fix.

User uploaded file
9:54 PM Sunday; February 17, 2013

Please, if posting Logs, do not post any Log info after the line "Binary Images for iChat"

 iMac 2.5Ghz 5i 2011 (Mountain Lion 10.8.2)
 G4/1GhzDual MDD (Leopard 10.5.8)
 MacBookPro 2Gb (Snow Leopard 10.6.8)
 Mac OS X (10.6.8),
 Couple of iPhones and an iPad
"Limit the Logs to the Bits above Binary Images."  No, Seriously

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 17, 2013 1:54 PM in response to k.pu110

Hi,

If the Mac is Off or more importantly Messages is shut down and a conversation happens on the iPhone and then Messages on the Mac is started the sync process kicks in.

It seems this Sync is not instant and the iMessages being synced play out like a speeded up chat.

Any new iMessages from your Contact DO arrive instantly and then get placed out of order.

Although I have not been able to confirm some people report the Mac version will be placed in the right order if the sycn finishes and then Messages is restarted.

As most iPhones are On all the time it seems there are few reports of it happening in the other direction as it were.

However there may be cases where people have to put their iPhone is Airplane Mode or similar that mean it will need to sync when back on line for iMessages.

At present apart from the "turn Messages Off and turn Message on Again" there seems to be no fix.

User uploaded file
9:54 PM Sunday; February 17, 2013

Please, if posting Logs, do not post any Log info after the line "Binary Images for iChat"

 Mac OS X (10.6.8),

Feb 17, 2013 2:07 PM in response to k.pu110

User uploaded file for the Points User uploaded file

You may want to give feedback as well http://www.apple.com/feedback/ichat.html

The Version Drop down has been out of date for some time (it does not even list iChat 6 for Lion) so add your details to the Free Text Area.

User uploaded file
10:07 PM Sunday; February 17, 2013

 Mac OS X (10.6.8),

Mar 1, 2013 10:17 PM in response to Ralph-Johns-UK

Hi Ralph, for me, turning off/on Messages in Mac OSX does not resolve this issue. Most of the time, messages that were sent or received on my iOS devices while my Mac version was offline, do not then appear on my Mac.

Ralph Johns (UK) wrote:

Hi,

Mar 1, 2013 10:20 PM in response to Ralph-Johns-UK

Not sure why we would give feedback for iChat, isn't that a different app? Though the Messages app does not appear in the list for feedback.. http://www.apple.com/feedback/ I guess they don't want to receive feedback on it??

Ralph Johns (UK) wrote:

You may want to give feedback as well http://www.apple.com/feedback/ichat.html

The Version Drop down has been out of date for some time (it does not even list iChat 6 for Lion) so add your details to the Free Text Area.

Mar 2, 2013 11:28 AM in response to JDfunky

Hi,

I did point out that I was unable to confirm this behaviour myself.

However I can state that I too "lose" iMessages that do not sync to the Mac version when it is shut down.

Currently I am also seeing that iMessages sent via the Cell phone carrier when WiFi is not available where the iPhone is means the iPhone does not get any return iMessages.

(if I send while at work from the iPhone any iMessages back from my wife do not arrive even though she is not told in any form that my iPhone is unavailable - however as soon as I walk in the door at home and the iPhone is back on it's WiFi network I get any outstanding iMessages).

Those iMessages are the one most likely not to appear on the Mac when I turn that On.

I am not finding anything that is sorting this as an "User Fix"

EDIT

Feedback.

Messages is built on the iChat engine and continues version numbers where the iChat apparently finished.

iChat got to version 6.x.x in Lion and Messages is Version 7.0 in Mountain Lion OS X 10.8 and OS 10.8.1 and becomes version 7.0.1 in OS X 10.8.2

User uploaded file
7:19 PM Saturday; March 2, 2013

 Mac OS X (10.6.8),

Message was edited by: Ralph Johns (UK)

iMessage not syncing messages from iDevices

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.